PDA

View Full Version : Milk paint topcoat?

jared parson
11-16-2015, 8:34 PM
Any suggestions for a topcoat to go over General Finishes milk paint? Its going on a built-in display case made of Baltic Birch ply. Im looking for low sheen, and the surface will have low traffic, as the top of case is differant material (solid wood) and shelving will likely be glass. This is my first run at this paint. Thanks!

John TenEyck
11-17-2015, 9:24 AM
You can use pretty much any topcoat over GF's Milk Paint. If you can spray, you might consider GF's Enduro Clear Poly in satin or flat sheen. GF's High Performance Poly would be another good choice for that application, and you can apply it with spray or by brush. Both products are water clear so they won't change the color and will not yellow over time.

John

Howard Acheson
11-17-2015, 11:19 AM
GF's Milk Paint is really an acrylic latex. It's a sort of faux "milk paint". No milk at all.

There is no need to clear-coat it for durability. You can just add another coat of the "milk paint" and have the same level of protection. If you really want to clear coat it, you can use any acrylic, waterborne clear finish.

Stew Hagerty
11-17-2015, 11:26 AM
I've used the High Performance with great results. I used semi-gloss on the inside & satin on the outside of this chest I made for my daugh

ter.325440325442

jared parson
11-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys....nice chest!