PDA

View Full Version : ROS Final Q's Before I Buy…

Dave Anderson
06-09-2003, 3:25 PM
LOML has given clearance to buy a random orbit sander as a combo birthday/Father's Day present.

Based on recent posts over the last couple of weeks, I've pretty much decided to get the Porter-Cable 333. But, I have a few more questions before I plunk down the cash. Noting that Rockler has the basic (non-VS) 333 on sale for $49.99 thru next Sunday.

First, Variable Speed or not? I've read from 333 owners that they love the VS but many go on to say they actually don't use it much. Considering the Rockler price, is VS worth twice as much?

5-hole or 8-hole? I would expect to hear back that I should get the 8-hole - but why? Better dust pickup? Do 8-hole disks cost more than 5-hole? Why should I care if my sander has 5 holes vs 8?

Hook & loop or adhesive backed? Any advantage to one over the other?

Finally, last chance to tell me NOT to get the Porter-Cable…

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mac McAtee
06-09-2003, 3:31 PM
Sander? I thought you were asking about a Radial Orm Saw!

markus shaffer
06-09-2003, 3:37 PM
i've gone through a few 333's. i think they are good for the money if it's not something you're going to beat heavily. since i use mine almost every day, i've decided that the one i'm on now will be my last. i'll be going with festool after this. however, i have to say that for fifty bucks, it's a worthwhile tool. i've never had a variable speed 333 so i can't comment on if the extra price is worth it. i wouldn't worry too much about the 5 or 8 hole pattern. i use mine with a shop vac and have never had any problems with 5 holes. when the original 5 hole pad wears out, you can replace it with a dewalt 8 hole pad if you'd like, the mounting screw holes are the same. good luck.

-markus

Dave Avery
06-09-2003, 3:50 PM
Dave,

I have the 8-hole Dewalt and like it very much. Dave.

Jerry Solomon
06-09-2003, 3:51 PM
I would definately get something with H&L disks. My only problem has been that the plastic tube connecting the dust cup to the sander body developed a split. I tie-wrapped it back on and (so far) it has held OK. Mine is a VS type and I have found that feature to be useful with the limited use that I give it.

Eric Apple - Central IN
06-09-2003, 3:55 PM
I use the VS very often. When shaping w 80 grit it can go to fast at full speed. Also cutting back grain raise is done on slow speed, and sanding back pore fillers is done on slow. So I would not consider a non-VS model. I have used VS for about 10 years and learned to use it eliminate some hand sanding and for fine control. Others do just a well by using different methods and fixed speed sanding. The PC VS ROS works well for me.

Jim Becker
06-09-2003, 4:04 PM
Thanks to an incredible find on the closeout table at Lowes a few weeks ago ($29 mini-gloat...), I now have two PC333 sanders and have been very pleased with the one I've been using for close to 4 years now. I don't miss the VS, but then again, I've never used one with this feature and don't know if it would actually be useful to me.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-09-2003, 7:11 PM
We've killed a couple of the PCs at the mesquite outfit. We've also killed a DeWalt...but having used both, I'm a DeWalt man now.

I also almost like the DeWalt 1/4 finish sander over the PC Speedbloc...something I never thought would happen. We've just had so much trouble with the switches/cords on the Speedblocs that it's tipped the scales in favor of the yellow.

KC

David Eisan
06-09-2003, 8:45 PM
Hello there,

Go buy the Porter Cable 333. You don't need the VS feature, I have never needed to sand slower. The PC has the plastic DC cartridge, whereas the DW has the prone to tearing cloth DC bag.

David.

nic obie
06-09-2003, 9:13 PM
After burning out a couple of palm RO sanders I bought the porter cable 7336 right angle RO sander with the DC option.

I have to use the velcro pads because the stick-on ones don't have holes. I figure you need holes so the vacuum can get to the dust.

One of these can be purchased for under $150 and I figure work as good as a $400 Fein sander.

I have mine hooked up to a Fein III vac and I can't see dust escaping unless you take the pad well over the edge of the wood.

By the way, even tho the 7336 is VS I can't remember slowing it down, however this could just be the way I use the tool.

Also... using p60 paper I can't bog the thing down.

I think It's worth the extra money.

John Christiansen
06-09-2003, 9:47 PM
I would get the 333 for that price! I say that because I just got one for ten dollars more. Mine is the PC333P and since I just took delivery of it about a month ago, I can't give you a longevity report, but it is a comfortable unit to use and the dust collection seems to be sufficient. I am well aware of the problems associated with the dust collector falling off during use but have not experienced that yet and will figure out some way around it, if does start to occur.

I am a little dismayed to read so many post about people that have gone through a couple 333's and it makes me wonder if they are as good as I think they are. But heck it's only fifty bucks, a guy spends that much or more for one night in a motel, and what have you got to show for your money the next day when you pull out of the parking lot. probably just two little bars of soap and a small bottle of shampoo that won't lather up.

I also have a DeWalt that I purchased many years ago for approx. ninety dollars that I still like much better, but I think that is just because I have had it for so long, done so much work with it and never had a single problem. Other than the bag tearing, that someone mentioned earlier.

Hook and loop without question. five hole, eight hole it doesn't mater, the paper cost the same. Well in my case it does mater some. I already owned an eight hole DeWalt and without even thinking about it bought the five hole 333 was I dissapointed when I realized what I had done:(. Now I am stocking two different styles of paper.

Jim Becker
06-09-2003, 9:54 PM
Originally posted by John Christiansen
I already owned an eight hole DeWalt and without even thinking about it bought the five hole 333 was I dissapointed when I realized what I had done:(. Now I am stocking two different styles of paper.

I believe that PC has an 8-hole pad available for retrofitting so you can use "one" type of sanding stock. Since you need to replace the pads periodically anyway (they suffer from heat stroke after heavy use), your next one should be the 8-hole so that it matches your Dewalt.

BTW, I've found that you actually can get "most" of three holes exposed with an 8-hole abrasive on a 5-hole pad. (Yea, I accidently bought a box of 8-hole 100 grit awhile back. Thankfully, I use the last few this past weekend...:D )

John Christiansen
06-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks Jim,

I'll look into that when the time happens. Which I hope doesn't take place before I use up the 200 five hole Klingspors that I just recieved for the 333.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2003, 10:20 PM
I, like Markus, have been through PC333's and I have one that is a factory refurb that is less than 3 months old and it is all but worthy of putting to rest.

After going through ROS's, much like going through the Dust Collection graduation process.....I decided to end my misery of trying to feed myself another less expensive ROS and hope it will last more than 3 years......My decision? <B>the Festool ES 125E ROS</B>.......yea....you heard me correctly......I spent $150 on a lonely SANDER!!!! It will be here on Thursday or Friday of this week and I will be posting a complete review.......

ROS Decision making process is now over.....

Keith Outten
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
I have four of the PC 333's, two with VS and two without. These are tough little units and have been an excellent value. Very light and easy on the hands, they are also easy to connect via hose to my DC system but they also work reasonably well with the plastic dust cup.

The VS feature isn't much of an issue for sanding but is a must have for rubbing a laquer finish. With the velcro pads you will find that the white 3M pads stick nicely and can be used with paste wax to eliminate hand rubbing a finish. I use the green pad first dry, then switch to the white pad with wax.

The two VS 333's are over four years old and have seen some very tough service.

nic obie
06-10-2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith Outten

The VS feature isn't much of an issue for sanding but is a must have for rubbing a laquer finish. With the velcro pads you will find that the white 3M pads stick nicely and can be used with paste wax to eliminate hand rubbing a finish. I use the green pad first dry, then switch to the white pad with wax.

Keith,

I've never thought of doing that. Sounds like a good idea.

Christian Aufreiter
06-23-2003, 3:50 AM
My decision? <B>the Festool ES 125E ROS</B>.......yea....you heard me correctly......I spent $150 on a lonely SANDER!!!! It will be here on Thursday or Friday of this week and I will be posting a complete review.......

Hi folks,

sorry, my response comes a bit late but first my Internet wasn't working and then I was on vacation.
Anyway, I second Dennis' comment on the Festool ROS. I have the ES 150/3 and really love it.

Regards,

Christian

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 8:27 AM
Dennis -

I wouldn't call a $150 dollar ROS a lowly sander. Sounds like you will be pleased with it. Be sure to follow up with a review.

Ted

Ken Ventress
06-23-2003, 9:23 AM
Dave, go with the Hook n Loop! I've had my 333 for close to 6 years now and have never had one moments grief! I can't comment on the variable speed issue but I use most of my tools equipped with VS on high speed anyway. I have used both the PC and the DeWalt and by far prefer the PC. I didn't like the way the DeWalt fit my hand or the way the top postion of the unit(flat round disk portion of the handle) heated up in the palm of my hand. I also find if you give your sander a couple of shots of shop air when changing grits, it goes a long way for better sanding results as you are clearing any stray lower grits from contaminating your next, higher grit and I think it prolongs the life of the sander.FWIW, I'd go for the one at $40.
Ken
LOML has given clearance to buy a random orbit sander as a combo birthday/Father's Day present.

Based on recent posts over the last couple of weeks, I've pretty much decided to get the Porter-Cable 333. But, I have a few more questions before I plunk down the cash. Noting that Rockler has the basic (non-VS) 333 on sale for $49.99 thru next Sunday.

First, Variable Speed or not? I've read from 333 owners that they love the VS but many go on to say they actually don't use it much. Considering the Rockler price, is VS worth twice as much?

5-hole or 8-hole? I would expect to hear back that I should get the 8-hole - but why? Better dust pickup? Do 8-hole disks cost more than 5-hole? Why should I care if my sander has 5 holes vs 8?

Hook & loop or adhesive backed? Any advantage to one over the other?

Finally, last chance to tell me NOT to get the Porter-Cable…

Thanks in advance for the help.