PDA

View Full Version : Holding molding against a mirror

David Ragan
11-16-2015, 1:48 PM
This is a sort of follow up to a router question of a couple of weeks ago.

Am installing some trim around a mirror in a bathroom, a frame type of situation.

the problem is that the entire bottom of the mirror rests on the marble backsplash-and it is 75" long. The bottom piece of trim will rest there.

So, I have been trying to get my little 1/2" by 2" by 75" piece of trim to be fairly straight (laugh here)-because I am unable to secure the trim by placing pin nails, etc into it because of the mirror/backsplash issue.

There is no drywall behind the trim on the bottom, for the entire length.

What glue/adhesive would you all use, ideally that would tame a piece of moving wood in the bathroom that can hold to a mirror?

My mother in law said she saw some Liquid Nails for mirrors.....I said whatever we did I would like it best if it was reversible.

As always, thanks

Lee Schierer
11-16-2015, 3:04 PM
Silicone sealant is your friend. You will need to hold the trim in place with tape while the sealant sets up.

Be sure to finish the part of the trim that will cover the mirror nicely as the mirror will show part of the backside of your trim that overlaps the glass.

John TenEyck
11-16-2015, 3:33 PM
Silicone, etc. will hold it in place. You can put bracing from the trim to the opposite wall to hold the trim in place while the adhesive cures. That will allow you tame the trim if tape alone won't hold it flat to the mirror.

John

David Ragan
11-17-2015, 7:04 AM
Thanks, guys

I am compelled to ask, is there any particular brand or quality that I look for?

I already have so 'RTV' I think it is called.

How about automobile grade clear?

Lee Schierer
11-17-2015, 5:28 PM
I generally use GE 100% Silicone.

Tom M King
11-17-2015, 5:50 PM
PowerGrab. A little bead will do, and you can clean it up with water.

David Ragan
11-18-2015, 7:37 AM
this is something I have often wondered...

Silicone by itself is a great adhesive?

Lee Schierer
11-18-2015, 8:56 AM
this is something I have often wondered...

Silicone by itself is a great adhesive?

Silicone sealant is a good adhesive, Silicone (spray or grease) is a lubricant and makes a poor adhesive......