PDA

View Full Version : Veneering question

Jan Carr
11-16-2015, 12:42 PM
I have a friend who is putting together a portfolio book and would like me to help him make a veneered wood cover.

The cover is specified to be +/- 3/16” and I would be veneering both sides of the cover with an exotic wood.

In my experience, thinner plywoods (1/8” - 1/4”) aren’t especially stable when it comes to maintaining their flatness in the changing humidity of Minnesota. Thus, a panel that is nice and flat in winter often exhibits some extent of warping when the higher humidity of summer comes around.

I am wondering if any of you has any suggestions as to ways I might approach this little puzzle.

Thanks!

Bill Adamsen
11-16-2015, 1:18 PM
Is this getting veneered onto a substrate or is the veneer "the cover?" Or are you considering just using plywood?

I do veneering with a vacuum bag and typically either several layers (essentially creating plywood) or bonding the veneer onto a substrate. I have always used epoxy, though that's not required. I have also done the veneering very successfully with cauls and a platen. Epoxy is typically used for the first topcoat. That alone should make for a pretty moisture resistant product. But I have never done just a single thin veneer layer coated with epoxy. One idea that comes to mind is sandwiching the veneer between lightweight glass layers. That would make a strong and permanently flat cover that essentially looked like wood. Take a look at Nick Schade's gallery [http://www.woodenkayaks.com/] to see examples of just how clear you could get the finish.

John TenEyck
11-16-2015, 1:20 PM
Interesting problem. I think I'd look at using 1/8" plastic or aluminum as the core. Not sure what glue options there are at that point, but contact cement sticks to most anything and works well with paper backed veneer.

John

Jan Carr
11-16-2015, 1:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Adamsen;2491835]Is this getting veneered onto a substrate or is the veneer "the cover?" Or are you considering just using plywood?

My first thought was to use ⅛" hardboard, but I also considered using aluminum as a substrate. Do you have an opinion on which would be better -- or perhaps another technique entirely?

Jan Carr
11-16-2015, 1:37 PM
I'm probably not doing this right, since I am new to this forum.

But my answer to Bill Adamsen's question is: My first thought was to use ⅛" hardboard, but I also considered using aluminum as a substrate. Do you have an opinion on which would be better -- or perhaps another technique entirely?

Bill Adamsen
11-16-2015, 1:51 PM
How is the cover getting hinged? (am I showing my ignorance of the portfolio book bindery business?)

A search on Google
https://www.google.com/search?q=portfolio+book+cover+wood

Shows a lot of ideas.