PDA

View Full Version : CBN wheel choice

Charles Bjorgen
11-16-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm about to order a CBN wheel for my 7-inch 1725 rpm Baldor grinder. The only source I've found for that size grinder is D-Way Tools and that's fine because D-Way appears to have an excellent reputation. The two grit choices are 80 or 180. I'm inclined to go with the 180 but would welcome your thoughts. In addition to turning tools I'll also be shaping other tools such as chisels and plane irons. Not interested in buying two wheels at this time.

Matt Schrum
11-16-2015, 12:46 PM
I purchased both the 80 and 180 thinking that I'd use one for shaping (changing the shape of a scraper, etc), the other for sharpening. I've found that the 180 is plenty suitable for both shaping and sharpening and I have hardly touched my 80 grit CBN at all-- in fact, I've toyed with the idea of getting an even finer grit than 180 given how quickly/easily it sharpens.

That being said, I only use these for sharpening my lathe hand tools and nothing else.

Tom Brouillette
11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
I have, and love, my 180 grit CBN.

Roger Chandler
11-16-2015, 1:06 PM
If you are only getting one wheel, definitely go for the 180 grit, and make sure you get the correct size bushing from Dave for your particular grinder shaft diameter. I had a D-Way 180 grit in 1.5" width and used it for over 2 years, and when I got a new grinder I sold the Dway wheel to a friend and he loves that wheel! My new setup has two CBN wheels in 80 and 180 grits.

Allan Ferguson
11-16-2015, 1:16 PM
FOr has only

Reed Gray
11-16-2015, 1:29 PM
If you are only getting one, get the 180. They are very aggressive at first, and when broken in, still cut as fast or faster than a standard 120 wheel. They are fine for minimal shaping, but if you get a Doug Thompson scraper that is square on the end and need to make it a round nose, you need a 1 1/2 hp Jet industrial grinder with a 60 grit belt. I use the 80 grit mostly on my scrapers because it makes a more industrial grade burr, heavy duty and sharp. The 180 grit still raises a nice burr, which might be a tiny bet sharper for shear scraping.

robo hippy

Charles Bjorgen
11-16-2015, 2:00 PM
I had a nice little talk with Dave from D-Way after writing my first message in this thread. He concurs with the 180 grit wheel for my needs so we're all in agreement. In selecting the correct bushing for my Baldor I assumed the 3/4 inch would be correct but Dave said that is only for the eight-inch Baldor. He says 5/8-inch is correct for my 7-incher but I'm going to measure before I order.

I came close to shutting down my turning operation this past summer by selling my lathe and many of my turning tools to fellow turning club members. Then the club sold off its Jet 1014vs lathes used for small group sessions for $150 each. Couldn't resist so now I'm back to turning in my basement shop. I feel a bit silly thinking of buying a $175 grinding wheel to use with a $150 lathe but that's the way it goes. Curiously my three Hamlet ASP 2060 gouges did not sell so I'm glad to have those still in hand. The only new gouge purchased so far is Taylor 1/2-inch Continental forged gouge to replace the one that I reluctantly sold during my sale. Nice to be back.

Justin Stephen
11-16-2015, 2:26 PM
The only reason I own the D-Way 80 is that I made a stupid mistake and bought it instead of the 180. I later picked up the 180 and, like others, virtually never use the 80 now. It certainly would shape more aggressively (see "faster") than the 180, but you could also just do rough shaping with the traditional 80-grit wheel you probably already own and just fine-tune it and sharpen on the D-Way 180 and save yourself the expense of buying the 80.

John Grace
11-16-2015, 2:38 PM
That I only need one wheel is really good information to know...and I'm sure my family appreciates it as Christmas approaches.

Reed Gray
11-16-2015, 5:33 PM
Perhaps one reason to have both wheels is that the CBN will run true where the standard wheels will not. I have heard of an instance or two where turners had a reduction in grinder vibration by adding one CBN wheel, and it was totally eliminated by adding the second wheel. They will last most turners a life time.

robo hippy

Gary Herrmann
11-16-2015, 8:04 PM
I've got a Baldor 7 incher. Dave is correct on the bushing size.

David Delo
11-16-2015, 8:24 PM
Perhaps I'll be a little contrary from everyone else so far on this but I prefer the 80 grit wheel for changing profile angles and for scraper applications no matter if it's a regular handled squared, round-nose, curved scraper or any of the hollowing style carbide bits held with their own boring bars. Just find the burr a little more substantial and longer lasting and the ability to change angles on tools much quicker with the 80 grit. I've been experimenting with different angles on bowl gouges and like using the 80 grit for any changes and once I get the angle dialed in, using the 180 grit for further sharpening. That seems to be working the way I'm looking for on scrapers, bowl & spindles gouges. Can't offer you any advice/suggestions for your original requirement for using on chisels & plane irons except to say, those tools never touch my CBN wheels. They get A/O wheels treatment on a different grinder set-up.

Reed Gray
11-16-2015, 8:41 PM
I do take my bench chisels to the CBN wheels, but not my plane irons. They all need to be sharpened, and I need a class.... The steel on both is fine for the CBN wheels.

robo hippy

Dale Bonertz
11-17-2015, 8:02 AM
I also will be a bit contrary. I have the 180 which is fine for most applications. For your gouge that you use for roughing I find the 80 grit puts a burr on that lasts longer than the 180. There are applications for both. If your budget dictates just one I would start with the 180 but the 80 grit is very useful as well.

Tim Passmore
11-17-2015, 8:10 AM
This has been an interesting read and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. Two questions: Are they a smart investment? If so, where is the best place to purchase them from?

Peter Blair
11-17-2015, 9:31 AM
I bought a slow speed grinder and later added two 180 grit wheels and am glad I didn't get the 80. The 180 puts a nice fine bur on my tools. I have a Wolverine setup and a Robo Hippy on one side and primarily use the other for quick re-sharpening of my gouges and skews.

Pat Scott
11-17-2015, 9:33 AM
I watched a Facebook video yesterday that WoodTurners Wonders posted about his CBN wheels. In the video he said that he will gladly make special order wheels, such as special grit or size. I've got one of his 180 grit wheels on my 8" grinder, and one of his 320 grit CBN wheels on my Tormek, and I like them both. I believe D-Way wheels are steel, whereas W.Wonders are aluminum. Others have posted that their grinder is slow to come up to speed once they put on a CBN wheel, but with the lighter weight aluminum wheel I haven't noticed any slow down at all. Maybe it takes two CBN's to slow the grinder down, but I'm just giving something else to consider. D-Way uses bushings to fit the grinder shaft versus W.Wonder that mills the hole for whatever size shaft your grinder has. And the W.Wonders are cheaper. I really wanted a D-Way wheel, but for the price and positive reviews that I read, I couldn't pass up the W.Wonders. Lifetime guarantee too.

John K Jordan
11-17-2015, 9:47 AM
I bought a couple from Ken Rizza at http://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/cbn-wheels.

For my 1/2 speed bench grinder I got a 240 grit, the kind he calls 4-in-1.
For my Tormek I got a 600 grit.

These are great.

JKJ

Charles Bjorgen
11-17-2015, 10:03 AM
I've got a Baldor 7 incher. Dave is correct on the bushing size.

Correct, of course, but I checked anyway this morning and immediately placed my order for the 180 grit wheel. During my phone conversation with Dave yesterday he mentioned that on my grinder there is pin that the inner washer locks into that can be removed if I wanted to install the outer guard back on the grinder. Don't know that I'd want to do this since there seems to be little reason for it. When I reinstalled the 60 grit wheel on that side it was really out balance. I'm looking forward to a no fuss balanced wheel on that side again. Hoping it arrives by Friday.

Ralph Lindberg
11-17-2015, 12:48 PM
This has been an interesting read and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. Two questions: Are they a smart investment? If so, where is the best place to purchase them from?

Two things, with a CBN wheel the edge you get on your tool is cleaner, that is it's a clean sharp edge with fewer serrations. Second a CBN wheel is a life-time buy. Many of us can wear out a regular wheel in a year or two.
I would get D-Way, Dave's are steel and I think the CBN is bound better then Ken's.

I have to add a story I have told several (many) times. Dave is a member of our local club, right after he started selling CBN wheels we were taking a class through the club where the grinder had Dave's CBN wheels. My wife (who had been turning about 6 months at that point) walked over to sharpen a tool, then walked over to me and announced "we are getting one of these wheels as soon as we can afford it". She got one for a birthday present as was delighted.

Reed Gray
11-17-2015, 1:03 PM
I have always wondered about the stress of the lower powered grinders when using the heavier CBN wheels. In particular, the one no name grinders from Woodcraft which are/were 3/4 hp, but no where near as strong as my 3/4 hp Baldor. Then came the 1/2 hp Rikon grinder. Even with it, I would expect that with heavy use, meaning production work, it would eventually fail as it is being pushed beyond its limits. The aluminum wheel may solve this problem. The newer 1 hp grinder that Rikon has for sure is strong enough to solve that problem.To my knowledge, the aluminum haven't really been put through a demolition test to see if the electroplating of it is as good as the electroplating on steel. I expect my CBN wheels to out live me, and hope I have about 30 or so years left, which would make me about as old as Wally Dickerman.

robo hippy

John K Jordan
11-17-2015, 4:36 PM
Reed, I'm using the Woodcraft no-name 1/2-speed bench grinder at my lathe tool sharping station with one aluminum CBN and one Norton wheel. I see no difference in starting after I mounted the CBN wheel.

Reed Gray
11-17-2015, 5:50 PM
John, well, from my late mother, "Reed, how did you break that?" "Mom, all I did was touch it." Or, when I was doing concrete forms, especially on high walls, I over built to make sure they didn't blow in the middle of a pour. Most 3/4 hp grinders should be able to handle the load of 1 or 2 CBN wheels. The 1/2 hp ones, well, I just don't know, and time will tell. 2 CBN wheels on the old blue no name grinder from Woodcraft had a much longer ramp up to full speed time than my Baldor, which is also a 3/4 hp motor.

robo hippy