PDA

View Full Version : 10 logs out of one Pecan tree

Todd Burch
11-16-2015, 6:26 AM
Spent this last Saturday in wood collection mode. This Pecan was about 100' tall. It fell back in April when some storms blew through. It was alive most of the summer, but finally croaked a few weeks ago.

There was 30' of trunk to the first limb, and 47' from the base to the second limb.

The tree was on a pretty good incline. We (me and the homeowner) had to be careful when cutting and we were always uphill.

My ball cap showing scale. Tree was about 28" diameter at 8' up.

All collected and end sealed. I cut the big logs at 8.5' long.

The tree grew on a hillside and in a cluster with 3 others. I guess the pith was off center for the first 12' or so. Not sure how I should cut this log. Any advice?

These are the two crotches at the first and second limbs. I got these for my neighbor who has a big Oneway lathe and likes to turn big.

There's another pecan down that I'll get later. I think I'll only get about 3 logs out of it.

Dennis Ford
11-16-2015, 7:49 PM
WOW, that is a lot of wood. Pecan is not easy to keep straight while drying, I would make turning blanks from the piece with off-center pith by cutting through the pith to make one thin blank and one very thick blank. Since the log is so big, the thick blank might end up as two blanks. If you are not a turner, perhaps thick slabs could be flattened after drying for a couple of years.

Cody Colston
11-16-2015, 8:01 PM
Great score, Todd.