PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection - Hand Held Power Tools - Router / Sander

George Bokros
11-15-2015, 6:19 PM
Do you use dust collection when you use your router hand held or your sander other than the little bag what comes with the sander?

I bought a hose at the BORG and it is really stiff and makes using the sander somewhat challenging. I do not have dust collection when I use the router hand held for two reasons -- I do not have a dust collection attachment for either of my routers and the hose is enough of a challenge on the ROS. Is there a less rigid (stiff) hose that can be used with my Dewalt ROS and my Milwaukee pad sander?

Thanks

Larry Frank
11-15-2015, 7:05 PM
I am more worried about the fine dust from sanding and not the chips from routing.

I use dust collection on my sander as much as possible....not always convenient.

Rod Sheridan
11-15-2015, 7:09 PM
Hi George, I always use dust collection when sanding.

I don't own a router so I can't comment on how well that works.

I suspect that if you purchase tools designed for dust collection they'll work very well.........Regards, Rod.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-15-2015, 7:18 PM
Bosch makes a very flexible hose. Check on Amazon for it.

Jim Dwight
11-15-2015, 7:25 PM
I have the Bosch 5 meter hose hooked to my shop vac/dust deputy combination. I use the shop vac/dd for everything, portable and stationary tools. I use the Bosch hose for the portable tools and a 2.5 inch hose the shop vac came with for the stationary tools. Works well. The shop vac has a hepa filter so it doesn't just recirculate fine dust. Almost everything goes into the bucket below the cyclone so there is nearly no filter cleaning. I have an adapter sold for the Bosch hose that I use with the random orbit sander and a few other things it doesn't hook directly to. The Bosch hose is very flexible but using it still makes the sander a little less maneuverable. But I think it is necessary. I got the hose off Amazon.

Matt Day
11-15-2015, 7:27 PM
Absolutely! The hand held sanders are probably the biggest source of fine particulates in the average home shop.

The difference between the useless stock bag and being hooked up to a dust collector is amazing. Working around the hose can be cumbersome but it's worth it. Porter Cable also makes a good flexible dust hose.

When I use my normal shop vac hose (craftsman), I will normally clamp it vertically in a vise which helps keep it from catching and pulling.

Mike Chalmers
11-15-2015, 8:10 PM
On my sander (Bosch 6" ROS65VC-6) I use the Ridgid 10' hose. I have a cord hanging overhead that I attach the hose to so I do not have to "tow" the hose.

Robert Chapman
11-15-2015, 8:17 PM
Check Rockler's hose #48212

Jim Becker
11-15-2015, 8:53 PM
I use the Festool system for dust extraction from small, hand-held power tools...I'm a believer in collecting from these tools since in many respects, they create a lot of the fines that are most dangerous.

You are thinking along the correct lines relative to finding a softer, more flexible hose (anti-static properties are desirable). The one non-Festool hose that I have for my "regular" shop vacs used for general cleanup in cars, etc., is a Ridgid orange hose. While that specific hose would be too large in diameter for comfortable use with hand-held tools, perhaps they have a smaller diameter version available.

Stan Calow
11-15-2015, 9:47 PM
I have the soft, flexible hose from Rockler. Assume others sell it as well. Problem I had was finding the right adapters to fit my sanders. None seem to fit right, and no standard sizes.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2015, 9:56 PM
I use my DC attached to my 5" ROS. It works well. Because I have a cochlear implant, I need to minimize static shock as it could potentially damage my implant so I wear a grounding strap (anti-static kit) when I am sanding and using my DC.

Hoang N Nguyen
11-16-2015, 8:44 AM
I own the Rockler hose and use it with my Dewalt ROS, it will fit if you remove the bag and works well. I also own a festool CT36 and have it hooked up with my Festool router when doing hand held routing. It's amazing how well dust collection works with those 2 tools combined. I was routing a chamfer in over then 100 holes last night and didn't notice a spec of dust on or around me.

James Zhu
11-16-2015, 9:22 AM
In my opinion, dust collection is a must for any power tools generating saw dust, it is one of the reasons I invested in Festool system. Fine saw dust will cause damage to respiratory system, some woodworkers quit woodworking because of that.

Joe Kaufman
11-16-2015, 9:33 AM
I have the Rockler hose #48212. The flexible adapters cover a wide range of configurations and sizes. Yes it's a little pricey but works better than other hoses I've tried.
If you use it with a shop vac, provide an air bleed or flow restriction prior to the hose.

Wayne Jolly
11-17-2015, 2:53 PM
I tried that Rockler hose for some of my tools. I had to send it back because out of the 5 tools that I wanted to use it with, it only fit one. I also thought the hose itself was too short. When you start stretching it out, it pulls back pretty hard. Hard enough that if you don't take precautions, it will pull your sander right off the table when you put it down.

Wayne

Ben Rivel
11-17-2015, 4:31 PM
Ah the dust collection for hand power tools dilemma. If you arent willing to buy into the fest-fool tool prices what to do what to do...

Well after much research and trial and error I can tell you what worked awesome for me. For all my DeWalt hand power tools I found a simple enough and inexpensive option. I have a 5.5HP Shop-Vac with a 2.5" hose inlet that I bought this Shop-Vac adapter kit to size down to a 1.25" hose (LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-9051200-1-25-Inch-8-Foot-Hose/dp/B002YLRE1G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447795378&sr=8-2&keywords=shop+vac+hose)) This hose is much lighter weight that the heavy flexible hose from Rockler. I cut the rigid end of that hose down to shorten it up a bit and then fit it with a Fein Step Adapter (LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Fein-69908100131-921072K13-Step-Adaptor/dp/B00005M1SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447795239&sr=8-1&keywords=fein+step+adapter)) sized on one end for the Shop-Vac 1.25" hose and the other for the specific DeWalt tool (I found that most the DeWalt tools have the same sized dust port). After doing this its a perfect snug fit that let no air escape and holds tightly on the tool. Then I use an I-Socket auto switch (LINK (http://www.rockler.com/i-socket-110m-tool-and-vacuum-switch)) to turn the Shop-Vac on automatically and off after seven seconds while Im using the tool.

Try that setup out and it should work with any hand tool you need to hook a vacuum to and that has a dust port. Youre Welcome :)

Earl McLain
11-17-2015, 10:26 PM
I use my DC attached to my 5" ROS. It works well. Because I have a cochlear implant, I need to minimize static shock as it could potentially damage my implant so I wear a grounding strap (anti-static kit) when I am sanding and using my DC.

Wow Ken, not something i'd have considered. Do you know if other types of implants (pacemakers, etc) might carry similar concerns? I've got a few local toy makers that i joint/plane for--and i'd not given a thought to static concerns. Both of them have pacemakers.

Thanks,
earl

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Wow Ken, not something i'd have considered. Do you know if other types of implants (pacemakers, etc) might carry similar concerns? I've got a few local toy makers that i joint/plane for--and i'd not given a thought to static concerns. Both of them have pacemakers.

Thanks,
earl

It really depends on the specific implant so there is no one accepted answer. My surgeon and the manufacturer recommend minimizing static shock and "No Mono-polar cautery" too.

In surgery there are 2 types of electrocauterization, mono-polar or unipolar and bipolar. In unipolar AKA mono-polar cautery an electrical current is passed from a surgical probe through soft tissue, through the body to a contact point ( a pad or clip) often under the buttocks. Thus a high frequency current flows from the surgical tool through the body and can potentially damage an implant.

In bipolar cautery, the surgeon uses a tweezer-like tool and current flows from one tip of the tool to the other tip of the tool. In this type of cautery, current passes only through the tissue between the two tips of the tweezers and shouldn't damage an implant.

In my last colonoscopy, my doctor elected to use no cautery when they removed a number of polyps.

In every case, an implant patient should confer with their surgeon about whether or not there are any dangers from static electricity and electrocautery.

The implant manufacturer recommends no static electricity and don't expose the sound processors (look like a HA but different) to x-rays.....even the baggage x-rays at the airport. I am bimodal. I wear a HA on one ear and a CI sound processor on the ear. Both the HA and CI manufacturers warn to not expose the HA or sound processor to x-rays as it can damage the microphones in them. So at the airport, I have my spares manually inspected rather than put them through with my carry-on baggage.

My surgeon recommended I wear a medical alert device stating "No mono-polar cautery or MRIs". I chose to wear a titanium medical alert dogtag-like necklace stating just that.

Roger Rayburn
11-18-2015, 7:45 PM
I use a version of this one
http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-70130-Collection-Fittings-Reducer/dp/B00LPOUW2Q/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1447893349&sr=8-21&keywords=vac+hose
but I bought it at Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152676/10foot-power-tool-vacuum-hose-assembly-112-x-1.aspx
I added the FEIN adapter that I bought at Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/product/815898/fein-step-adaptor.aspx so that I could use it with my disc sander and 1 inch belt sander.