PDA

View Full Version : Mog's Christmas Calamity

Jim Koepke
11-15-2015, 6:04 PM
This time of year my memory is always jogged back to a time my mother and I were out shopping. It was a few days before Thanksgiving. Inside on of the department stores some Christmas decorations were being brought out. My mother said, "It seems like they start earlier every year." I remember the day after Thanksgiving was often the day to go out and watch the off duty firefighters (we called them firemen back then) put up the lights downtown. You could walk by stores, many of them closed with people inside, and watch the decorations go up. Some of the bigger stores had employees come in and install them during the night. For a young kid like me at the time, that was magical. Walk by a store one day and it looks normal inside. Walk by the next day and CABANGA! A Christmas scene appeared out of no where.

So now we have already seen a lot of Christmas ads, some before Halloween. It can kind of sour a person with some of the not so pleasant adverts.

Then there is this:

A Christmas ad for Sainsbury's is already being considered the best of the season. (I tend to agree)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuRn2S7iPNU

I have never heard of Mog the Cat children stories.

Maybe a few will work there way here for when the grandchildren visit.

jtk

Roger Feeley
11-15-2015, 9:16 PM
I guess Sainsbury does a Christmas ad every year. I looked up the one for 2014 and it was nice. It was about WWI when the two sides came out of the trenches for a few hours. I'll have to find previous years.

Brian Elfert
11-16-2015, 8:42 AM
Nordstrom has a policy of not decorating their stores for the Christmas season until the Friday after Thanksgiving. I feel a little sorry for the employees who give up part of their Thanksgiving holiday to decorate the stores.

Mike Circo
11-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for sharing that. Quite fun.
Watch the "making of" video that follows. Really adds a new layer of interest to the video.