PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Stand for Jet 1014 - Just about Finished

Ken Frohnert
11-15-2015, 1:18 PM
I am suppose to pick up a lightly used Jet 1014 this week. I was hoping for something slightly larger but I do little the quality of the small Jet.
I want to try it in my basement and see how much of a mess it makes for the winter.
I thought I would make a mobile stand so I can roll it out of the way. I have to pick up some locking casters at the Borg this week.
Used 4 2x4s so I have less than $13 dollars in it. I think the casters will run me about $32 so it should be under $50 completed.
Wiping on a couple coats of Ploy/BLO/Turpentine today will it is nice out.

I got the basic idea from a guy on YouTube but I decided to make some changes - including cutting mortises for the legs going into the tressel feet and putting a pair of
braces (stretchers) across the feet. I may eventually make a cabinet for storage.

David Walser
11-15-2015, 1:45 PM
Ken -- That looks nice. I'm sure it will serve you well. I discourage you from getting a set of casters for it unless you get the kind that allow you to raise the lathe off the floor for moving and then lower it back down for turning. Most locking casters allow a little movement and you want a very solid connection to the ground for a lathe. Any small movements of the lathe will be transmitted to your tool as you turn. Here are links to two different types of casters that would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER-GD-40F-Leveling-Caster-Finish/dp/B00I2JFUAQ/ref=pd_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51-h32CExML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=06Q50JN9QH5HR0D6GXJJ

http://www.amazon.com/Workbench-Caster-Kit-4-Pack/dp/B005W0UWCY/ref=pd_sbs_328_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51utbffHpEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=06Q50JN9QH5HR0D6GXJJ

You may find that the lathe and stand are light enough to be able to move without casters. Good luck!

Ken Frohnert
11-15-2015, 5:12 PM
Humm, David I had not thought about that. I wonder if I could use one pair of fixed wheels on one end of the tressel feet and put a wood foot (just slightly taller than the wheel in front of them) and when I tipped the lathe and stand back it would roll on the wheels but when I set it down the wood foot would lift the wheel off the ground and provide a stable base for the lathe? Humm?

Allan Ferguson
11-15-2015, 6:39 PM
TThat should work .

John Sanford
11-16-2015, 6:34 PM
Humm, David I had not thought about that. I wonder if I could use one pair of fixed wheels on one end of the tressel feet and put a wood foot (just slightly taller than the wheel in front of them) and when I tipped the lathe and stand back it would roll on the wheels but when I set it down the wood foot would lift the wheel off the ground and provide a stable base for the lathe? Humm?

That would work, but I'm not sure if "wheelbarrowing" a lathe is a good idea. Even the small 1014 is a chunky lit'l guy, which means the center of gravity is going to be quite high. Longish and narrow works nicely with the dynamics of a wheelbarrow, but top heavy definitely doesn't. The Workbench casters from Rockler really are the bee's knees, no bending or crouching to use them, and they will easily handle your setup.

Also, as an enhancement/improvement, I'd recommend putting square pads at the ends of the feet. Trestle feet are best when they only contact the ground at their ends, otherwise you end up with a lot of "footprint" that can get high centered, leading to rocking and other annoyances.