PDA

View Full Version : Staying Busy - Millwork

Alan Turner
08-31-2005, 1:03 PM
This little project is a way of paying bills on the new shop space. And, it is nice to work with 12/4 mahogany. These are replacement roof brackets for a Victorian home damaged by fire, and were ordered from me by the GC. They are purely decorative, not structural, and were shaped with a bandsaw and then pattern shaped. Interestingly, the 12/4 mahogany was the same price ($7.25/b.f.) as the 12/4 pine, and the 12/4 Spanish Cedar, which were the only possibilities for exterior wood from my usual yard.

I wonder if anyone out there has any idea what the customary charge would be for 30 of these, custom made as shown.

Andy London
08-31-2005, 1:46 PM
I take on one of these projects from time to time, the South end of Halifax has a lot of fancy type exterior trim work and few guys around here want to take the jobs on in their shops.

I charge $50.00 an hour plus materials or they can supply materials however I make sure they know if I don't pick the wood out, then the time required may be higher if I have to work around natural defects. In a case like yours I would probably add close to $80.00 for shop supplies to cover the wear and tear on glades and sanding.

Alan Turner
08-31-2005, 1:51 PM
Andy,
What sanding? I did none. :) These will be 30' in the air, says the GC. If he did not care, then I did not either. If I had just bandsawn them, then an OSS would have been needed for clean up, but the pattern shaping is really cool and leaves a finished, curved, surface. These are to be painted.

Roy Wall
08-31-2005, 1:59 PM
Alan,

My guess is around $35-40 a stick.........so $1050.00 ish..........

And yes--- I"d buy the Mahogany over the Pine any day for that price!!!

Lars Thomas
08-31-2005, 2:30 PM
I'm guessing $1,350. What's the prize?