PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a spray system... overwhelming

Justin Ludwig
11-15-2015, 9:59 AM
I've never had to worry about finishing my cabinets. Where I started cabinets there were plenty of painter/finisher subs that did outstanding work. I've been building my biz in a new area and there are 2 finishers to choose from, 1 of whom is about to quit. Their work is mediocre, good enough for most budget clientele, but I'm not happy with it on my work when I'm trying to build a local showcase and earn local business.

I have the shop space to make a booth.

It's been a while since I've operated a paint gun, about 15 years. I painted aircraft (touch up with poly-paints) in the Navy in the late 90s. I'm not worried about developing my own skills as my OCD will take care of it.

I am having trouble trying to choose a system. I've been reading and reading. My eyes hurt. My brain hurts. I don't want to drop $$ on something I'll need to upgrade in a year or two, but I don't want to break the bank either. I'll be staining, painting, finishing. Doors and preliminary work will be done in the shop where I have a 5hp Quincy AC (don't know the CFM, it's old and reliable). I have a 5gal AC (I'll look at its CFM tomorrow) I take on the job with me.

For multiple applications is air-assisted airless the way to go? Kremlin, Bobcat, Cougar, Graco?

I'd like one system with multiple tips for varying viscosity and finish types. Budget is $1-2k.

Scott Holmes
11-17-2015, 1:44 AM
I have a Graco Finish Pro 395 Air Assisted Airless. 75' twin hose rig that can double as an airless paint sprayer. I have not found any job it couldn't handle.

For smaller jobs I use a QualSpray LVLP conversion gun I got from Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing.