PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Date First Snow Flies on the Creek

Rich Riddle
11-14-2015, 7:48 PM
I am guessing that the snow won't fly in Hayes, Virginia until Feb 2, 2016 this season. When I lived on the Eastern Shore, it didn't snow all that often. Now Ken in Idaho won't have the same fate.

Jebediah Eckert
11-14-2015, 7:53 PM
Better order the tire chains soon then, they do get back logged.

John Stankus
11-14-2015, 8:16 PM
I am guessing that the snow won't fly in Hayes, Virginia until Feb 2, 2016 this season. When I lived on the Eastern Shore, it didn't snow all that often. Now Ken in Idaho won't have the same fate.

I am guessing that the snow won't fly in San Antonio, Texas this season. :)

Barry McFadden
11-14-2015, 9:09 PM
Had snow here this morning!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2015, 11:30 PM
We have had snow in the surrounding area for several days if not a week here. I drove to my nearest hardwood supplier 30 miles north yesterday and as I returned home before dropping into the Snake River and Clearwater River canyons, I noticed snow on the mountains east, south and west of us. It's been there for a short while.

Keith Westfall
11-15-2015, 12:39 AM
First snow last night - probably won't last - yet...

Ian Moone
11-15-2015, 1:21 AM
100.4f here today! Near broke my back shoveling sunshine off the driveway to get the car out! ;)

What exactly is this 'snow' you speak of? :D

Mike Cutler
11-15-2015, 8:57 AM
100.4f here today! Near broke my back shoveling sunshine off the driveway to get the car out! ;)

Not nice. Funny though.;)

Bert Kemp
11-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Flagstaff AZ got 8+ on Nov 4th about an hour from me, I don't expect any this year. Altho 2 years ago we had some flurries.

Richard McComas
11-15-2015, 11:54 AM
First snow on Sept 30

Shawn Pixley
11-15-2015, 12:12 PM
No snow for me this year.

Yonak Hawkins
11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping for no snow this year, too. ..But I will need enough cold weather to burn the wood scraps accumulated since last winter. I cranked up the wood stove for the first time this past week.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2015, 1:24 PM

No offense! I prefer cold weather to warm weather. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm. If I take off enough clothes to stay cool, it's ugly and a lot of people laugh or get upset.

Rick Potter
11-15-2015, 2:19 PM
Ken,

No pics, so we can't laugh or get upset.

Bert Kemp
11-15-2015, 4:13 PM
+1 Ken I hate summer here in AZ

No offense! I prefer cold weather to warm weather. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm. If I take off enough clothes to stay cool, it's ugly and a lot of people laugh or get upset.

Rich Engelhardt
11-15-2015, 6:33 PM
Never can tell about the weather.

I'd forgotten that a year ago on Nov 14th, it snowed like crazy here in NE Ohio.

http://photos.clevescene.com/photos-this-is-what-it-looked-like-a-year-ago-in-downtown-cleveland/#1

This year?
Sunny skies and a balmy 65F !

Jebediah Eckert
11-15-2015, 7:06 PM

Haha. Now that's a good one!

Ian Moone
11-15-2015, 8:05 PM
Seriously - 56 years old and never seen snow in my life! :rolleyes:
Had a big hail storm once when I was a kid about 6 or so and the lawn got covered in a half inch of ice.. that was fun.
But never actually seen/touched REAL snow in my life! Guess I should do so at least once in my life at some point!.
Saw some in the far distance on a mountain top in Tasmania once, on a trout fishing / deer hunting holiday, but again never got to physically touch it.
Probably fun the first couple times...
Always wanted to try out one of those mechanized snow thrower machines that you clean off your driveway just for fun.
There's a LOT to be said for getting warmer when its cold with more clothes - when its hot as hades here in summer heat waves the ONLY answer is to stay indoors in the air conditioning.
Was hoping climate change would bring to snow to me if I wait long enough and rising oceans make this place into waterfront property! :D

Rich Riddle
11-15-2015, 8:55 PM
Ian,

Visit Ken Fitzgerald in January/February. You might not be able to get home before April but you will get a lifetime of snow in that visit.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2015, 9:18 PM
In a normal winter which we haven't had for 8 or 9 years, the mountains nearby where I elk hunted had between 10-12 feet of snow annually. The road signs for the snow mobiles were 12-15 above the surface of the dirt roads.

I moved to Lewiston, ID in 1982. In the 33 years I have been here, the deepest snow we have had in town was 2' one Christmas about 18 years ago. The cities (Lewiston, ID and Clarkston, WA across the Snake River from us) are at the bottom of the Clearwater River and Snake River canyons. The confluence is on the north side of both towns. Elevation on Main Street is around 725' above sea level and you climb 2,000 feet in elevation when you leave town. Depending on the direction you leave town you will climb that elevation in as little as 6 miles or a many as 195 miles. I have come off the top of the Lewiston Hill at 0100 driving in whiteout blizzard conditions and 3' of snow there. 6 miles later at the bottom of the hill as I entered town, the skies were clear, the road was dry and the ground was bare. The elevation makes a significant difference in the amount of snow we get.

Ian, our average annual moisture is 13". That means 3" less and we'd be a desert. Our summer temperatures in the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August often exceed 100º F. The local record is 118ºF IIRC. I have a gas furnace in my shop and I don't have AC so I stay out of my shop in those hot times. Fat old men sweat too much!

Lee Schierer
11-15-2015, 9:32 PM
We had snow in Northwestern PA two weeks ago. It lasted a couple of days. We average 100" per year and our record snow fall is 146"

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2015, 9:36 PM
Lee,

A number years ago I took my wife on a surprise summer vacation. She is an avid baseball fan. One of the places we toured was Cooperstown. We left there and came back across NY to Erie, PA. On what is now I-86, there were places with low cutbanks, I could just imagine how that road must drift closed in the winter time!

BTW, I spent one winter in an eastern suburb of Cleveland. If someone hasn't experienced "lake effect snow", they won't understand it!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Seriously - 56 years old and never seen snow in my life! :rolleyes:
Had a big hail storm once when I was a kid about 6 or so and the lawn got covered in a half inch of ice.. that was fun.
But never actually seen/touched REAL snow in my life! Guess I should do so at least once in my life at some point!.
Saw some in the far distance on a mountain top in Tasmania once, on a trout fishing / deer hunting holiday, but again never got to physically touch it.
Probably fun the first couple times...
Always wanted to try out one of those mechanized snow thrower machines that you clean off your driveway just for fun.
There's a LOT to be said for getting warmer when its cold with more clothes - when its hot as hades here in summer heat waves the ONLY answer is to stay indoors in the air conditioning.
Was hoping climate change would bring to snow to me if I wait long enough and rising oceans make this place into waterfront property! :D

Ian,

In 2008, our youngest son and his wife sent us on a dream 10 day vacation to New Zealand for our 40th anniversary.

We flew back home from Auckland on New Years Day 2009. Here's what we returned to in Spokane, Washington where we had parked our car at a motel near the airport.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106038&d=1231226940

If you look there is a middle row of vehicles. Our van is just to the left of the pickup truck with the ATV in it's bed.

This was the road conditions (nearly whiteout) on our drive home from Spokane, WA.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106039&d=1231226966

This was January 2, 2009.

Bert Kemp
11-16-2015, 12:45 AM
Yes Ian you really should go visit snow country in the winter, I lived in Northern New England my first 60 years and only moved to AZ 5 years ago and trust me cold is better then 115 F or 46 c I'm trying to move back. But when I talk to people who have lived here all their lives they like the heat and if it cooler then 75 f or 34c their cold and put on jackets LOL

Ian Moone
11-16-2015, 2:48 AM
Yeah - I should do it one day, probably on a no fly list tho! :D
NZ would be my nearest "dream destination".
My Lad drives triple road trains these days - we both like watching Ice Road Truckers on the man channel.
But, it's something I can only dream about!
Probably left my run a little bit late.
Spent a day in 2008 without any air conditioning, when the temps went to 48C (118.4f).
Once was enough!
Ohh and annual average rainfall was 3 inches.....every 3rd year or so! LOL

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/WestMooreAerial.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/P1080052.jpg

We would desalinate seawater for freshwater to drink etc. We would have killed for 13 inches of rain (even if it came as snow).

This is the dryest continent on earth bar Antarctica - but all the freshwater there is frozen.

Lee Schierer
11-16-2015, 7:39 AM
Lee,

A number years ago I took my wife on a surprise summer vacation. She is an avid baseball fan. One of the places we toured was Cooperstown. We left there and came back across NY to Erie, PA. On what is now I-86, there were places with low cutbanks, I could just imagine how that road must drift closed in the winter time!

BTW, I spent one winter in an eastern suburb of Cleveland. If someone hasn't experienced "lake effect snow", they won't understand it!

I-86 can get bad, but it is usually the stretch of I-90 just east of Erie that gets closed down from the lake effect snow. I've seen snow come down at the rate of a foot or more an hour off the lakes. It is usually heavy set stuff that is slick on the roads and difficult to move with a snow blower or plow. Sort of loke wet concrete. Wherever it gets moved to the first time is where it stays until it melts.

Bruce Page
11-16-2015, 5:28 PM
It started snowing here a few hours ago. It's about a month early for us.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2015, 6:20 PM
Ian,

In 1999, I met a couple guys in a corporate school in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. One of them was from Christchurch, NZ. He was the lead engineer for our company on the south island. We became instant good friends! 20 months later he called me up at home on a Sunday to offer me a position in Dunedin. I considered renting our home out for 4 years, getting the corporation to write me a 4 year contract and taking the job until I found out what the tax situation would be. I was too close to retirement to take on that burden.

As I said earlier, in 2008 our youngest son and wife generously gave us a 10 day trip to NZ. We toured both islands, had dinner with my friend and his wife on a couple evenings. His wife generously became a shopping guide for my wife one day.

Then in 2014, we took a once-in-a-lifetime 34 day trip to your wonderful country, Australia, New Zealand and 2 days in Fiji. I had invested in a 401K for 34 years and my investments had done well. We will never do it again as it was incredibly expensive but at least, we were able to do it once!

In Australia we did the tourist things in Cairns, Ayers Rock, Alice, Sydney, Hobart and Melborne. We were in Australia for 2 weeks. While I am not a big city person, I fell in love with Sydney. I got photos there of Government House and when I returned home, a cousin sent me photos taken of my Dad and his Australian girl friend taken at Government House in 1944. My Dad was in the Navy at the time.

In New Zealand, this trip we traveled exclusively for 2 weeks by regularly scheduled buses and trains with a ferry ride from the south island to the north island. We were in Christchurch twice, got to have dinner with my friend and his wife, we hiked into the Franz Josef Glacier with a guide and 8 other people. At Queenstown, we toured the Doubtful Sound and the scenes of Glenorchy where they filmed the Lord of the Rings trilogy. We were able see Mt. Cook en route back to Christchurch. We were in Wellington, in Rotorua we toured Hobbiton nearby, Paihia and Auckland.

We dearly enjoyed meeting locals in Australia and New Zealand. Beautiful countries whose beauty is only overshadowed by the friendliness of their people!

We didn't get to the west coast of Australia.

Ian Moone
11-16-2015, 8:08 PM
We didn't get to the west coast of Australia.
No one does Ken. Well not since Dennis Connor anyway! ;)
I had a friend form Florida come out and fish for 10 days with us... and it was 45 hours in the air just to get to us. (FLA - LA, LA - HA, HA-NZ, NZ-SYD, SYD-PTH, PTH-Karratha)!
Was a bit of an eye opener for him... in many ways! In his 10 days out at the Island he never saw another car, boat plane or person... no one..
He was explaining that in Fla they will take a live-aboard game boat and sail down to Cancun Mexico to "get away from the crowds" - only to arrive and find 1000 other such floating gin palaces... also trying to get away from the crowds!
What he couldn't get over was the complete 'isolation'. When we went out in the boat he would ask......"what if we break down at sea - who will tow us back?". Literally in 10 days we never saw another vessel... and of course the answer is - "we don't" (break down at sea). We make 100% sure its going to be a 2 way trip or we don;t go out in the first place coz there isn't anyone else to tow us back within about 1000 miles!.
The Wild west here, is fully 50% the size of continental USA, BUT we only have 2 million population! And 1.8 Million of those live in the capital city Perth.
The rest of the place is pretty much empty (and thus unspoiled - YET).
Interesting thing for the visiting friend going home? Despite 45 hours in the air returning, with the time zones and traveling toward the rising sun, he arrived home the day before he left here!. (i.e. he quite literally traveled backwards in time once calendars and watch adjustments came into play)!.
You can't see half the continental USA in 2 weeks just like you can't see anything of Wild west of Oz in 2 weeks.
The wild west is where you go when you want to get away from the rest of the people int he world. It's probably a desert equivalent of "Alaska" in terms of big open spaces and no people.
We like to keep it that way! ;)
MOST international tourists spend their 2 weeks in the East coast, where the other 18 million of us all live!.

Joe Beaulieu
11-18-2015, 2:55 AM
Ian,

What you want to do is visit us here in the San Francisco Bay Area in the winter. We have very mild winters in the Bay, but if you drive just 3 hours or so into the east you hit the Sierra Nevada mountains, where they very often get a dozen feet of snow at 6000 feet. So on a nice day here you can ski in the morning, drive a couple hours, and play golf in the afternoon. And here is the kicker - no bugs at all. The Bay Area gets so little rain that there are no mosquitos or black flies etc. Of course California is in the middle of a pretty nasty drought right now. We could use some rain.

Joe

Ian Moone
11-18-2015, 10:11 PM
6000 feet?
I was at 6000 feet once, in a DeHaviland tiger moth doing loop the loops (3)!
I don't think we have any ground that high in the whole country.
7,310 ft = Mount Kosciuszko... well there you go I was wrong - we do - but again I've never seen it..... can't be that tall or I'd be able to see it from here (3000+miles away).

San Francisco Bay Area in the winter. & Sierra Nevada mountains
One powerball and I am there!.