PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Shapton Sharpening Stones in Japan?

Ami King
11-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Hi! I'm quite new to the forum and I'm relatively new to woodworking. I've been taking woodworking classes in the past couple of years and love working with hand tools. So, of course, I've been learning about sharpening. Many of the experienced woodworkers recommend buying the Shapton sharpening stones. Since I will be visiting Japan this winter, I was wondering if any of you know where I can buy them in Japan?

Thanks for helping out this newbie. :)

David Wong
11-14-2015, 11:55 AM
I have seen Shaptons since sold at Tokyu Hands (http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/foreign.html), a large variety/DYI/hobby store. Located around Japan, with several locations in Tokyo. I have also seen then in small cutlery shops.

Curt Putnam
11-14-2015, 6:13 PM
Get a hold of Stu of Tools From Japan. Discuss your sharpening needs with him. If you are near him in Japan, pick up whatever directly else he can probably have delivered to your location.

Ami King
11-17-2015, 8:10 PM
Thanks so much for your advice, David and Curt! I'll check with Stu and see if he can help me out and I'll definitely visit Tokyu Hands to see what "toys" I can pick up from the store. :)