PDA

View Full Version : bodhran drum skins

stan kern
11-13-2015, 8:34 PM
I was asked to run some tests on engraving drum skins,but because the drum skin is goat the laser engraves are really not showing up
and you have to balance the power as you do not want to weaken the skin.
If anyone has input i could pass it along
but i feel the method they use to manually paint up the drum skin might be the only method
let me know if you have some input or suggestions

https://youtu.be/aBTb7Wqevtg

thanks

Glen Monaghan
11-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Try taking the drum skin a bit out of focus so the beam is broader, then pick the slowest speed you are willing to run the job, and tweak the power to get the darkest mark that doesn't burn too deep. You'll be trying to "toast" the skin, so you need to go slow to give the proteins time to "caramelize" without burning or simply vaporizing, which is why you want to be out of focus and slow.

If you can't get that to work (some leathers just won't darken very much), maybe you can mask with transfer tape, kiss cut the design into the tape, weed, and spray paint?

stan kern
11-14-2015, 5:39 PM
thanks very much

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2015, 5:56 PM
I made a template for drum skins for one of my clients that uses vinyl or silkscreens them

stan kern
11-14-2015, 9:18 PM
that might be a better use of the laser and a drum skin, i feel its weakening the drum goat skin on engraves

David Somers
11-14-2015, 9:56 PM
Stan,

How about a different approach? Dont use the laser to burn the skins. Instead, use the laser to cut an acrylic stamp with that design and imprint the wet goat skins with it. Subtle, but noticeable I think. And it shouldn't weaken the skin to the degree actually "engraving" it might. That design looks like it might be the whole width of the drum? If so, you might need to put the stamp on a very solid backing so it can be pressed evenly and with enough pressure to imprint a wet skin? Anyone with real leather experience have any thoughts that might help Stan??

Dave

stan kern
11-14-2015, 10:11 PM
yes , i agree with the different approach ..I was wrong to push the laser to a drum making person and i have written to him and told him the ideas
i have got from here .
This is a btter use of the laser
thanks again....i was just trying to cut down his work

Neville Stewart
11-14-2015, 10:48 PM
This is a wild topic, I've been playing the bodhràn for about 30 years, I' never thought to laser one. I'll have to give it a go. There is intense tension on them, Lasing them will undoubtedly weaken them. Theyd be nice decorations but not for playing.

stan kern
11-15-2015, 12:40 AM
this all started by me meeting a gentleman in galway ireland that builds them and we had last names that were very close , and i mentioned that one could maybe laser a celtic design in the face of the bodhran drum.
He was thrilled with my idea and gave me 2 skins to return home with for testing,but to even try and do this you really need the drum finshed as the skins are in raw state and get brittle and do not stay not level on the laser bed .
So today i made 5x5 samples stapled to a 1/4 frame and engraved ,i did manage a good one but i don't think its the right thing to do to the goat skin drum surface

https://youtu.be/xHJUghEQN80 lasering goat skins part2

Instead I have written and gave him the above ideas of templates and stencils for painting as he does have some colourful drums tops.
He was a pleasure to meet and i have a personalized business card from him with a postal stamp with his picture and signed ...a fine collectors item for me
This all was a great gift to bring home from Ireland

David Somers
11-15-2015, 1:35 AM
Stan,

One other thought. If they decide not to decorate the skin itself in any way, how about laser engraving the outside of the drum frame? If I remember right the skin on a Bodhran doesn't cover but the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the outside of the frame? That would leave room for a lovely and intricate Celtic design engraved onto that surface? You would need a laser with a substantial Z height to do it. My Chinese laser could handle something on the order of a 36inch diameter for example. Just another thought.

Dave

Mayo Pardo
11-15-2015, 1:54 AM
If the drums are to be played, probably the best idea is to make a stamp or stencil and use a suitable ink or dye.

I wonder if you would get a better or worse result if the skin was wet and pliable?

Your process of experimenting was similar to my testing to get a good result on a blue jean jacket, and my tests on clear plastic desert plates. As long as there is no pressure of deadlines the challenges like this can be a fun learning experience.

Thanks for sharing it!

stan kern
11-15-2015, 10:19 AM
I tried the drum skins wet and dry made no difference,taking them off focus helped a lot and removing the air assist
But bottom line I don't think lasering these skins is the way to go,lasering the sides might be ok and that would be a challenge as
my table could handle it depth wise but the drum is round ,indexer can't run down in there .
So something would have to be invented