PDA

View Full Version : Table saw power

Scott Christian
11-13-2015, 7:39 PM
I have a Grizzly G0691, 3hp cabinet saw that I need to get power to. The best solution would be to install a subpanel, but since my garage is on the other side of the house from where the power comes in and there is a room with a vaulted ceiling in between, that is not an option at the moment. I have a 50amp RV hookup that I use for Christmas lights and a Coleman 50amp spider box that I use to distribute the power. The box has a 30amp, 240v, twist lock outlet on it. My thoughts were to put a comparable twist lock plug on the saw and build an extension cord from 12/3 wire with male and female twist lock connectors. Or I could use the NEMA 6-20 plug recommended by Grizzly with a comparable 6-20 female plug on one end of the extension cord and the twist lock on the other end. Now the instructions on the saw say a minimum circuit of 20amps is required. So am I ok using this 30amp outlet on the spider box? Since the saw will be mobile, I don't really need or want to spend the money for a permanent power feed at this time. Either way, I will need an extension cord no longer than 15 or 20 ft.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Mike Heidrick
11-13-2015, 9:47 PM
Match the extension cord ends to the saw and the power rectical. Size the sjo wire for the amp draw of the saw. You will use three conductors - two hots and a ground. Make sure the end plugging into the box is usig two 120v hots and the ground.