PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jig Saw decision.

Ken Kimbrell
08-31-2005, 11:42 AM
My 10yr old B&D jig saw went south, so I’m thinking, how much can a nice new, good quality jig saw be???
Well can you say ‘Sticker Shock’!!! :eek:

After seeing how much the better brands go for my thought now is to take enough time to be sure a get the best possible unit for under $200.00… my original budget was about $80-100, so much for that idea.

Doing a thread search here on SMC it would seem that a lot of Creekers like the Bosch & Dewalt lines, I have several Dewalt tools and like them, but have never used anything by Bosch.

So, if it were you, what would be your choice for brand and model for the less than $200 class and would you go corded or cordless (18-24volt cordless is appealing, but looks to be over the budget at the prices I have seen so far).

TIA for your input.

Don Baer
08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Ken;
The only Bosch tool I own is a right angle grinder and it is a great tool. I have never tried either the Bosch or PC jig saws but LOML bought me a Skill Jig saw for a present a while back and It is very nice. It had a built in Lazer that is aligned with the blade, a blade holder that allows you to change blades without using any tools and even has provisions to hook up a dust colllector. I've used it on every thing from 1/2 pine to 3/4" oak. Oh and I'd definitly go corded.

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Bosch pretty much invented this generation of saber saw, and they still do a good job at it. I'd buy Bosch in this case.

I'd buy corded. Cordless is useful if: you're going to be on a ladder; or if you're going to be doing lots of running around. Saber saws are generally used in a shop for a specific cut, and then put away. Cordless provides little benefit there. On the down side, cordless saws cost more, and weigh more.

Andrew Ault
08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
The first time I used a friend's Bosch jigsaw was sort of like the first time I drove a Mercedes back about 1980 - a higher plane of quality. It was night and day over my old Craftsman saw. The Bosch was much more precise and easier to control.

I bought one when I could afford it and have been very happy with it. I've used it for many purposes and have always enjoyed using it.

The new one has a blade guide to help keep the blade straight and an improved blade changing design. If mine didn't work perfectly, I'd buy the new one. I've had this one for at least ten years and it still works as well as it did when new.

I haven't tried the Dewalt, so I can't compare the two.

Bob Winkler
08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I love my Bosch JS and use it frequently, mainly because it works so well. I also believe that a corded tool will last a lifetime. Wish I could say that about all my cordless drills now gathering dust after a couple of years.

Bob

Larry Browning
08-31-2005, 1:16 PM
Have you considered the Grizzly $59 jig saw? I bought mine to replace a B&W $40 model. When you compare the Griz to the B&W the Griz wins hands down! My only complaint is the blade changing mechanisum, which is a real pain. But other than that, it is a very good value for the money. I don't use a jig saw all that much, so spending $200 on a top of the line saw seemed not too smart for me.

Larry

Ray Petri
08-31-2005, 1:21 PM
I just ordered a Bosch 1590 EVSK from Savannahtoolhouse.com for $134 with free shipping. From what I was able to determine the saw is an excellent one.

Elliott Cameron
08-31-2005, 3:27 PM
My 10yr old B&D jig saw went south, so I’m thinking, how much can a nice new, good quality jig saw be???
Well can you say ‘Sticker Shock’!!! :eek:

After seeing how much the better brands go for my thought now is to take enough time to be sure a get the best possible unit for under $200.00… my original budget was about $80-100, so much for that idea.

Doing a thread search here on SMC it would seem that a lot of Creekers like the Bosch & Dewalt lines, I have several Dewalt tools and like them, but have never used anything by Bosch.

So, if it were you, what would be your choice for brand and model for the less than $200 class and would you go corded or cordless (18-24volt cordless is appealing, but looks to be over the budget at the prices I have seen so far).

TIA for your input.

Greetings Ken
You asked for our .02c worth. Based on my 5 year working relationship with my Bosch 1587AVSK VS...I highly reccomend the Bosch.Dead straight cuts, NO vibration . A very well balanced and enginered tool.
If mine didn't work so darn good I'd have to go out and get the new,improved model.The 1590. You won't find a better jigsaw anywhere.
Some folks swear by the Festool , but, I'm sure a Ferrari drives better than my Honda Accord. Price not being a factor I'm sure the Festool is better...but in the regulas Joe Shmoh budget, the Bosch is the best.
You won't regret it.
BTW...I heards the BRAND NEW DeWlat DW331K is supposed to be a TRUE competitor to the Bosch line.I have only seen pictures though.

DW331K
http://www.toolking.com/images/products/bigdw331k.jpg

Everything else is a step behind the Bosch's.

1587AVSK
http://www.toolking.com/images/products/bigbt1587AVSK.jpg

1590 EVSK (get this one )
http://www.toolking.com/images/products/bigbt1590EVSK.jpg
pssst... GET THIS ONE !!!! ^^^

I hope this helps

regards Elliott FLA....USA

Keith Foster
08-31-2005, 3:40 PM
I have the DeWalt that sells at Lowes for $99 - don't recall which model it is. When I first bought it I didn't like it at all. Very sloppy cuts, wouldn't follow the line, yada yada yada. Was fixing to take it back and on a whim I decided to swap out the blade to finish the project I was working on. The new blade was a Bosch replacement. WOW! What a difference a blade makes! Still have the DeWalt, but I only buy Bosch blades for it. They are WAY better blades and make a world of difference in the cut quality.

Lincoln Myers
08-31-2005, 3:46 PM
I've had my Bosch for 5 years.

I also recommend it to all that ask.

-Linc

Jim Becker
08-31-2005, 4:56 PM
The newer Bosch with the blade guides and the Festool EQ300 (also with blade guides) are about as good as it gets when it comes to hand-held jigsaws. I have the latter, but had the former been available it would have been a tough call technically but easier financially. And I say that as a very satisfied Festool user...the Bosch is a great tool in this space.

Mitchell Garnett
08-31-2005, 5:28 PM
1587AVSK

1590 EVSK (get this one )
http://www.toolking.com/images/products/bigbt1590EVSK.jpg
pssst... GET THIS ONE !!!! ^^^

I agree with Elliott. I've got the the 1587 and have found it to be really great. It replaced a 30 year old Sears several years ago and changed my whole view of jig saws. I would never have used one for any other than rough cuts until I tried the Bosch. This is probably more a comment about $40 vs more expensive units than it is about Bosch though.

Mitchell

Corey Hallagan
08-31-2005, 6:04 PM
I recently bought the new 1591 (barrel grip) bosch. In the past 18 years I have probably used up no less than half a dozen jig saws. When I received my bosch, I couldn't believe the difference in quality and Ihadn't even turned it on yet. The machining, fit, heft, blade changing mechanism is unbelieable. Very smooth running, I love it, wished I had bought years ago. The new blade holders work great, a feature that makes the new 1590 & 91 models worth it. The 134.00 price for the 1590 is the best you will find!

Corey

Ken Kimbrell
08-31-2005, 6:13 PM
Sounds like most everyone likes the Bosch!

Thanks for all the great advice/reviews on the Bosch units.
My local Borg has both the Bosch 1590EVSK and the Dewalt DW331K with the Dewalt being about $10 less.
In looking at them I was about evenly swayed between both of them because on the Bosch side were all the positive comments by you, my fellow Creekers and on the Dewalt side was the price difference and a few features that I liked better on it, like the ‘No-Mar Shoe Cover’ and the way the blade release works.

So… while I was debating with myself over which way to go who should walk up???
None other that the Dewalt vendor rep wearing his bright yellow Dewalt shirt! :)
Guess you know where this is headed, the Dewalt is in the shop waiting for its first use… its sitting next to those Irwin clamps that seem to be calling out to me.
http://www.mykimbrell.com/dewalt%20saw.irwin%20clamp.JPG

Thanks again for all the advice, those of you who suggested the Bosch sure made me stop and think for a while, normally I would have just walked straight to the Dewalt without a second thought, and it’s good to give a little serious consideration when spending serious money.<O:p</O:p

Todd Davidson
08-31-2005, 6:23 PM
I'd love to hear your thoughts (ie:review) on the Dewalt. With the ability to cut flush with the end of the shoe I may have to add a Dewalt to my jigsaw collection if this feature works as well as Dewalt claims it does.

Steve Rowe
08-31-2005, 6:32 PM
Ken,

I have a PC fixed base jig saw. If it were to die today, I would replace with the Festool but given the price limitation, I would go for the Bosch.

Corey Hallagan
08-31-2005, 8:23 PM
Congrats on the new saw and the new clamps(love those). The dewalt and new bosch's tied in the Wood Magazine review( Ithink it was Wood) they actually leaned to the Dewalt because of it's ability to cut up flush to the front. I am sure it will be a great saw! Enjoy!

Corey

Ken Kimbrell
08-31-2005, 8:35 PM
I'd love to hear your thoughts (ie:review) on the Dewalt. With the ability to cut flush with the end of the shoe I may have to add a Dewalt to my jigsaw collection if this feature works as well as Dewalt claims it does.

Todd, the blade that you see in the saw is a new design to me, (don't know if they have been around for a while, or not?) so I wanted to give it a try just to see what it will do.

After my last post I went out to the shop and did some test cuts on some 1”x6” soft white pine (from the sawmill, unfinished), some ¾” construction grade plywood and some 1”x4” white oak.
I used first the wide blade and then a regular wood blade that came with the saw and here is how it went:

General cutting:
The DT2074 (wide blade) cut really fast in the three samples, it was very easy to maintain a straight line and the cut was very clean, the oak looked good enough to glue up, the plywood did as well, the pine was good, just not quite as good as the other two. There was almost no tear-out or splintering in any of the cuts. The 116-2 HCS blade also cut very well, just not as fast as the DT2074 and while the cuts were very clean and smooth, they were of slightly less quality as compared the DT2074 blade.

Flush cutting:
The DT2074 blade was a little difficult to control at the start of a cut because the blade is directly to the front edge of the shoe, it needs to be that way of course in order to be able to do a flush cut. To test the flush cutting feature a piece of 3/4” ply was attached to edge of my workbench top using drywall screws (not to worry, its just an old door). On the first try it went OK, leaving a small scuff on the table edge at the end of the cut. The second try was even better because I slowed the blade speed and my feed rate and that gave much better overall control, making for a cleaner end to the cut, producing an even smaller scuff on the table edge. With some practice and with a steady hand I could see someone making this cut and leaving almost no mark (or, maybe none) on the ‘other’ piece at the end of a cut.

Vibration & other stuff:
In some of the previous posts one of the concerns mentioned was vibration, and while there was very little vibration in the DW331K, there was a bit more vibration with the wider blade, the 116-2 had almost no vibration in the three types of wood.
The Dust Blower feature works very good making it a lot easier to follow your line.
As you can see by the wide design the DT2074 blade is straight line only… out of curiosity I tried a slight turn just to see what it would do, it didn’t work too well.

No doubt someone with more experience than me would get better results than mine and they would likely be able to do a better test, but this saw and the flush cutting DT2074 blade seem to work very well for me.

Time will tell of course, but for now I am a happy boy.<O:p</O:p

Charles McKinley
08-31-2005, 8:47 PM
Hi All,

Unless DeWalt blades have come a long way in the last couple of years Bosch blades are head and shoulders above the DeWalt blades.

I have a Dewalt 18v jigsaw that I almost sold until I put a bosch blade in it. The blade holding power of the DeWalt is weak also.

I love my corded Bosch.