PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper Composition Question

Andrew Kertesz
11-13-2015, 7:59 AM
I am getting ready to purchase some sandpaper for a 16-32 drum sander. I am thoroughly confused by the different abrasive components applied to the paper/cloth backing. Can anybody explain the difference in plain English for someone like me? My thought is to go to Klingspor unless there is a better, less expensive supplier.

glenn bradley
11-13-2015, 8:17 AM
From the Klingspor WW shop website:

Alumina Zirconia: A high-performance alloyed abrasive formed by Zirconia deposited in an Alumina matrix. An alloy of Aluminum Oxide and Zirconium Oxide. Designed for heavy duty stock removal for metal and wood, with self-sharpening characteristic. Belts are normally blue in color. It normally works well for grinding stainless steel, spring steel, titanium and other hard metals and for dimensioning wood.
Aluminum Oxide: An abrasive made by fusing the mineral bauxite. A very strong and tough abrasive. The most commonly used abrasive for wood and metal. Normally brown or reddish-brown in color. Usually it is best suited for sanding metals, wood and solid surface.
Zinc Stearate: A dry lubricant added to the surface of coated abrasives (usually sheet or disc goods) which prevents loading of soft materials such as paint and other finishes. Normally white-gray in color.
Silicon Carbide: An abrasive made from coke and silica sand. Very sharp and hard abrasive. Used for sanding softwoods, painted or otherwise finished surfaces, rubber, plastic, non-ferrous metals and other types of materials. Cuts very well under light pressure. Normally black in color. It is primarily used for sanding glass, plastics, rubber, ceramics, solid surface materials and non-ferrous metals.
Garnet: A very sharp grain that cuts very quickly when new. It fractures quickly, keeping it sharp. it is perfect for sanding wood end grains or for final finish sanding of wood. Garnet has a very good price point.

I have found Aluminum Oxide with a cloth backing gives the best balance between performance and cost. If I was doing lots of something that neared a production shop I would probably step up to the AZ for longevity between changes. I change grits frequently throughout a project so the value isn't there for me.

Art Mann
11-13-2015, 8:53 AM
Now that is a comprehensive answer!

Roger Pozzi
11-14-2015, 7:45 AM
I am getting ready to purchase some sandpaper for a 16-32 drum sander. I am thoroughly confused by the different abrasive components applied to the paper/cloth backing. Can anybody explain the difference in plain English for someone like me? My thought is to go to Klingspor unless there is a better, less expensive supplier.

Go to Klingspor. IMO there is no better option and, in most instances, none that are really less expensive when comparing apples to apples.

Bradley Gray
11-14-2015, 8:16 AM
+1 for Klingspor