PDA

View Full Version : A "new to me" Clark & Williams plane arrived today

Keith Mathewson
11-12-2015, 8:46 PM
In the last batch of planes for sale by Patric Leach I picked up a Clark & Williams smoothing plane. It is a 2002 but appears to have had little use. I've been wanting one for some time and was pleased to find this one.

Allen Jordan
11-12-2015, 9:24 PM
Wow that thing looks perfect, very tight mouth. What angle is the blade bedded?

Brian Holcombe
11-12-2015, 9:33 PM
Nice! You have a great collection of woodies!

Dave Anderson NH
11-13-2015, 8:18 AM
It looks to me like their 55 degree smoother. I have had one for many years. You'll love it.

Keith Mathewson
11-13-2015, 6:59 PM
Yes it is at 55 degrees. I would love to hear the story as to why it was for sale, it shows almost no use. When I first tried to use it the blade was sharp but it produced large shavings. After light dressing of the sole it works beautifully. I wonder if the first owner didn't know to dress the sole and gave up on it.

Tony Shea
11-13-2015, 8:22 PM
I am honestly really jealous of that plane. I hope to make on some day but to own a Clark & Williams smoother would truly make me a happy woodworker. I am glad you posted this Kieth, I never get tired of seeing these caliber of tools.

lowell holmes
11-14-2015, 9:16 PM
I want one!

I will have to break out my Steve Knight planes and use them. They certainly do a nice job of it.

Matthew N. Masail
11-15-2015, 8:23 AM
Looks beautiful, congrats! I don't know if the desire here is specifically for a Clark and Williams plane but I would sooner get a double iron coffin smoother from our very own Steve Voigt before a 55 single iron. Not to say that the 55 isn't a great plane.