PDA

View Full Version : Need for counterweight

Alan Lightstone
11-12-2015, 7:42 PM
I'm just about finished building a flip top / swivel top cart for my hollow chisel mortiser. On the underneath part, I was planning on placing my Belt/Disc sander.

There is a significant weight imbalance between the two tools. The hollow chisel mortiser weighs 90 pounds, and the sander weighs about 40 pounds.

Will I need to add a large amount of counterweight on the planer side of the top swivel board, both for safety, and to prevent it rotating like crazy when I turn it?

Bradley Gray
11-12-2015, 7:56 PM
Here's what comes to my mind and someone else may shoot this down: The 2 loads are roughly 2:1 so if the pivot point is 2" from the mortiser table and 1" from the sander table it should balance in either position.

Alan Lightstone
11-12-2015, 7:58 PM
I think the pivot points will be identically spaced from both loads (they both are sitting on a 1.75" thick board, with the pivot pins centered on the two edges), although since the mortiser is top heavy with its motor on top, the situation may actually be far worse.

Matt Day
11-12-2015, 8:20 PM
Right now my flip top only has my mortiser. I haven't had time to mount my sander. But it still works, just needs more effort.

As for counterweight, search for what the turners use for their lathes. Usually sand or concrete.

Doug Garson
11-12-2015, 8:21 PM
I built a flip top cart for my Ridgid thickness planer and oscillating spindle/belt sander. There's probably a similar difference in weights. It does take a little effort to flip it under control but it works fine. I have four corner bolts to lock the top in place when using either machine (I can post a photo if requested).

Alan Lightstone
11-13-2015, 9:24 AM
Actually, I would like a photo to see how you secured it with the bolts.

Thanks.

Matt Day
11-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I made mine lock like Dominic's in this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?17841-Flip-Top-Tool-Stand&styleid=3

Alan Lightstone
11-13-2015, 11:40 AM
I was thinking more of threaded inserts on the swivel piece, and a hole through the frame for a large knob/bolt.

Doug Garson
11-13-2015, 2:01 PM
Actually, I would like a photo to see how you secured it with the bolts.

Thanks.

I also used the same method as Dominic except I made my own plywood knobs but it seems I can't post pictures, the "manage attachments" screen just times out. Maybe the problem is temporary, I'll try again later or maybe the Moderators can help. Check out the Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement forum and search "flip top work stand" . I posted some pictures there a while back. I'd post a link but got my hand slapped for that once before.