PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: Upgrading my drill press from bench top to floor

Raymond Kong
11-12-2015, 12:51 PM
I want to upgrade my drill press from a bench top to floor, motor broke on current one.
I found a Powermatic 1150 for $625 I haven't seen it in person but pictures look pretty decent.

There is this other model Chin CH-18F drill press 1HP, 3/4 chuck, 16 speed for $220.
Never heard of this brand or model can't find anything using google anybody have an idea?

Both over 1.5hr drive away from me to just look at so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Peter Kelly
11-12-2015, 2:26 PM
Depending on condition, $625 would be an ok price for that Powermatic. They often go for much more.

Mike Schuch
11-12-2015, 6:58 PM
I would definitely go for the Powermatic if you can swing the price. It is a much nicer drill press! If $625 is too rich for you (I seldom see a Powermatic infinitely variable speed drill press advertised for less than about $625) then the $220 Chinese drill press will definitely drill holes for you. I have a couple chinese drill presses and a Walker Turner drill press. They ALL drill holes as good as I need them too but the Walker turner is much smoother, quieter and has a feel of quality.

Bill Adamsen
11-12-2015, 7:24 PM
Go with the Powermatic. That's a great dp with a long stroke. The Reeves drive makes speed changes exceptionally easy. The price seems ok, unless of course the machine needs something. If there is an "arc of shame" make him knock off $200.

Davis Young
11-12-2015, 7:26 PM
The Powermatic, especially If you change speeds a lot. And if you don't, you probably should more often. At least that's what I tell myself (and routinely ignore on my Craftsman manual pulley changer). If you can swing the funds, the Powermatic. If not and you don't need one right away, I would wait for a Rockwell or Delta at that price point. And if you need one pronto, maybe talk down the price. Over $200 seems high for an off brand import. Look at it this way: the Powermatic, if it is in good shape and you take care of it, will probably fetch at least your purchase price when you (or your descendents) eventually decide to part with it. With the off brand, you'll be lucky to get half of whatever you paid for.

Peter Kelly
11-12-2015, 9:15 PM
If there is an "arc of shame" make him knock off $200.Arc of Sadness more like.

James Baker SD
11-12-2015, 11:43 PM
I have the pulley speed version of the 1150 and really like it. Very solid machine. Built like a tank. I can live with moving one belt, don't think I would like having 2 movable belts (even though it gives more speeds, I find 5 enough for woodworking) unless 1 was usually in the same place all the time.

Cary Falk
11-13-2015, 8:26 AM
The Powermatic is the one I would choose. Does it have the table elevation crank. I don't think all of them do. It was a requirement when I was looking for a DP.