PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Stuffers....Part I

Michael Stafford
08-31-2005, 8:42 AM
I know it is early to be thinking about Christmas but nevertheless here are some small "treasure chests" my wife and I collaborated on. These little boxes are roughly 2 1/2" square and 2 1/4" tall. These are domed shaped little treasure chests. From left to right: walnut with maple sides, curly maple with oak sides, and curly myrtle with poplar sides....

Mike Weaver
08-31-2005, 8:45 AM
Outstanding!!!

Thanks for the great idea.
Cheers,
-Mike

Byron Trantham
08-31-2005, 8:57 AM
It's never too early to get ready for Christmas and what a start! :D Gorgeous!!

Jim Becker
08-31-2005, 9:35 AM
Very nice, Mike! I bet they are very popular, too...

Lincoln Myers
08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
OK, I like them. Now please tell us how you made them. In particular, how'd you make the lid, and how'd you attach the lid to the sides.

Thanks for posting.

-Linc

Roy Wall
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
OK, I like them. Now please tell us how you made them. In particular, how'd you make the lid, and how'd you attach the lid to the sides.

Thanks for posting.

-Linc

Agreed! Nice work......I just want to see / hear the "SAFE" procedure........

Michael Stafford
08-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I will try to describe how to make these safely. I saw one of these pictured in a magazine some time ago and tried to figure out how they were made myself so I have no idea if this is the best or "safe" way....

First you need a block of wood roughly 2 1/2" square and several inches long just so you can hold onto it as you cut it in the band saw. I made a cardboard template to scribe on the sides of the block with my design pattern. Also the sides have to be parallel to one another. Note that the front and back of the box are end grain.

You will need a 1/8" very sharp and fine toothed band saw blade with as much tension as your saw and blade can withstand.

Once you have your design on the box you can start cutting. The first cut is a relief cut for the rear of the lid. Then you cut from the front to remove the lid portion. Then you cut out the inside of the box. On some the rear is curved and comes to the front with a sharp corner; on the others the front and back corners at the bottom is square. In my opinion it is harder to sand the ones with square corners at the front and back.

Then sand the inside surfaces of the box body and lid. Finish shaping the lid so it has a nice curve form at the hinge point. Tape the lid to the body of the box and mark drill locations for hinge pins. I use brass pins 1/8" in diameter. Steel pins can discolor the wood over time. Carefully drill these holes. Next you have to fabricate some pointed pins that are the same diameter as your hinge pin holes. The sharp end must stick out of the hole in the lid far enough for you to make an impression in the material you use for the sides.

Rough cut the sides to approximate shape, press the sides one at a time against the pointed pin and mark the location for the hinge pin hole. Drill a shallow hole for the hinge pin. Cut some hinge pins so that they fit in the lid and into the sides without binding. Fit the sides to the box with the pins in place and tape the sides to the body of the box. Remove the tape from the lid and test the lid operation. Adjust as necessary.

Once satisfied use some drops of epoxy to glue the sides onto the body of the box. Do not get any squeeze out in the hinge pin holes or on the lid. You will not have a functioning box. DAMHIKT!!!!! Test the operation of the lid before clamping it up.

After it dries grind down and refine the shape of the entire box exterior with a disc sander or whatever you have. Then finely sand and finish, buff with Beall system and give to those you love.... They are a lot of work for such a small box. If anyone can tell me how to do it better I sure would appreciate it cause there has to be a better way than the way I did it... :confused:

Joe Blankshain
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Some of the best work I have seen in a long time. Santa had better get some more stockings to hold those.

Keith Burns
08-31-2005, 11:27 AM
What else can I say but "those are really cool".

Kurt Aebi
08-31-2005, 3:57 PM
Big Mike,

I missed these earlier, but they are fantastic and thanks for the "How-To"

Gotta try at least one of these beauties!