PDA

View Full Version : Should I??

Bruce Volden
11-11-2015, 6:49 PM
Back in the '70's I bought a Sigma by Martin cutaway. I really like this guitar and have played it plentiful.
I heat with wood here in South Dakota so as you may imagine the temp's fluctuate as well as the humidity.

My poor geetar is severely cracked and is totally unplayable during the winter months.

I really like this old 'fella. I took it to the local fix it shop and they wanted more to fix it than it originally cost!
I do understand this. It needs a complete new face.

I have a well set-up WW shop and some basic understanding of perhaps fixing this problem but am apprehensive at attempting a repair such as this.

For the interim I bought a RainSong carbon fiber/graphite to keep my fingers busy. Bullet proof so far.

What should I do???? I am out nothing if I fail but, I don't want to fail because of the history of this guitar.

Bruce

Anthony Scira
11-11-2015, 11:12 PM
That is a tough one. If it a piece of history I would hang it on the wall and call it a day. If you're up for a challenge give it a go. About half way through you will be wishing you paid the guy to do it. But hey if that guy can do it so can you. And I say that not trying to be sarcastic.

You will have to look at YouTube videos about removing a neck if it a dovetail joint. And about removing soundboards. Just be careful with the top because it will be a template for your new top. Once you have the new top braced (If it has a radius to the top you may need a radius dish to build the proper dome into the top) and voiced you need to attach it. You will need a lot of cam clamps or a go bar deck to do it right. After it is attached you will have to use a router to cut new binding channels. There are a lot of ways to go about it. You may even want to just buy a gramil and cut them by hand. It is a little more work but it is harder to mess up. Once you have your new bindings installed into your fresh cut channel scrape them flush and get ready to apply the finish usually 6 coats, 3 per day sanding in between. Buff and now were ready to attach the neck. Hopefully the geometry is all good. You may need to make a new bridge if something is off. Bridge placement is where you break out the heavy guns. You mess this up and the thing will never play in tune.

Hope my short and very lacking description of what you will be up against does not sway you against attempting the project. It will be a challenge.

Anthony Scira
11-12-2015, 9:03 AM
Actually I assume you need a whole new top. You may not. You should try and re hydrate the top first to see if you can close any cracks. Stick a small dish of water inside the guitar and keep it in the case. Just make sure you leave it in a place that it will not accidentally be moved. Check it every few days and refill with fresh water. If you're lucky the cracks will swell shut and you can get some thin CA glue in there. Then check for any loose braces inside.

And in the environment you describe always keep any guitar in a case with a humidifier.

Jim Creech
11-12-2015, 10:16 AM
What Anthony said about re hydration is 100% correct although personally I would not use CA glue for this application. If you do not have a hard case you can use a plastic trash bag large enough for the body and a damp sponge in a well perforated zip top bag inside the sound hole.( This is the method I use more often than not). For what it's worth Martin recommends 50% humidity.
Some pics would be helpful in assessing the damage. The repair itself is not difficult but it is time consuming. I say go for it!

Anthony Scira
11-12-2015, 11:19 AM
The only reason I described replacing the top was because you got an estimate and I assume the guy looking at it may have thought it was past the re-humidification point.

What glue would you use Jim ?

Jim Creech
11-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I use either hide glue or plain ole carpenters glue simply because I want some working time to get the joints properly aligned. Also, for ease of removal should something go amiss. Also for ease of clean-up!

Julie Moriarty
11-12-2015, 5:01 PM
If playing is more important than the memories you might get looking at it, why not tackle the project? One of the best sources I've found for learning about instruments is the Guild of American Luthiers (http://www.luth.org/) (GAL). Subscribe to their magazine or buy their whole library. Almost certainly you will find the information you need. I believe you could bring your guitar to better than ever. Something magical happens when working on musical instruments.

I just went to YouTube and found some videos on replacing the top of an acoustic guitar. That might help in deciding which way to go.

Bruce Volden
11-12-2015, 6:42 PM
Well,

I am overwhelmed by the responses I recv'd on this thread. I will get some pics up for every bodies perusal. The geetar was made in Korea and I bought it new back in ~1978? I looked at others at the time but this one just "fit". Believe it or not I paid around $500 at that time. It was/is a good sounding instrument (certain times of the year).
I would like to try my hand at it but, feel like something like this would be WAY out of my league. The other side of me says "What have you got to lose".
My other instruments include a Hoyer Flying Arrow, a 12 string Framus bought when stationed in Germany in 1974, Gibson Les Paul Special (sounds and feels great), Fender Squier Strat Bullet (outdoor knock around) and my RainSong Black Ice.
I don't think I am going to attempt the fix at this time but will garner more wisdom from researching the re-build. I truly appreciate every ones comments. Maybe I should just ship it to one of you members??!!
Once again I will put up some pics soon.

Bruce

Jim Creech
11-13-2015, 8:23 AM
Bring it on! I haven't had one get the better of me yet!