PDA

View Full Version : Band Lube

Cody Colston
11-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Two points here. I use water with a couple ounces of Cascade dishwashing liquid and a couple ounces of Pinesol per gallon. My mill had sat idle all summer and evidently the Pinesol had settled out and turned into Pine sap. I had to disassemble the two valves on the lube line and clean them out with a stiff wire in order to get the lube to flow.

The other point is that when sawing SYP, I found that keeping a rapid drip of lube going while sawing and then opening the control valve for a few seconds of heavy flow after every log kept the band basically clear of sap. I only used a couple of gallons of lube for 1500 bf of 4/4 pine and kept the band clean.

Robert Schmiede
11-11-2015, 4:31 PM
I use water soluble oil, one cup to a gallon of water, never any problems. Never gums up and keeps the blade clean.

John TenEyck
11-11-2015, 9:40 PM
I've often wondered if water soluble oil would work with my chainsaw mill for the bar end oiler. Anyone have any info. or educated guesses?

John

Robert Schmiede
11-11-2015, 11:40 PM
not a good idea, H20 in any form is not good for chainsaws,bandsaw blades are a solid mass, where as chainsaw chains a made up of multiple moving links,stick with bar oil,some run a lighter grade oil on the end of the bar which i cant see doing any harm.i have a norwood chainsaw mill with a 660 stihl, 42 inch bar,cutters at 0 degrees,cutting camphor laurel.

Sal Kurban
12-14-2015, 4:30 PM
I use 50% diesel+50% bar chain oil mix. I crimped the end of the lube copper tube so it drips one drop every few seconds.