PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 EVS

Loy Hawes
08-31-2005, 4:00 AM
I am a new owner of the Jet 1642 EVS. Before I made the purchase I read Dominic Greco's review on this lathe.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

It was mentioned that the "handwheel" was a vacuum adapter. Those of you with this lathe running a vacuum chuck,how did you plumb to this adapter?

I also bought Oneways live center adapter and it will not thread onto Jet's live center. Anyone else have this problem?

Jim Becker
08-31-2005, 10:16 AM
The OneWay live center spindle adater was designed for the OneWay live center. OneWay and Jet "had words" (legally) over the Jet live center and they may not be exactly the same at this point....

Loy Hawes
08-31-2005, 2:58 PM
Jet is definitely not using the 3/4 x 10 TPI threads on their live center anymore, as Oneways live center adapter will not thread on. I understand Oneway's point of view but threads are threads. It is mentioned in Dominic's review of the 1642 that Oneway's accessories will work with Jet's live center. Maybe the article could use a footnote or revision as to not further mis-inform anyone.

Jim Becker
08-31-2005, 3:03 PM
Jet's live center at first was such an exact copy of the OneWay that you couldn't tell them apart without "really" careful inspection. There was legal action as a result. You might want to PM Dom about your footnote suggestion...he's a good guy...and when his review was written a long time ago, it was accurate relative to the mirror properties of the Jet and OneWay live centers.

Bob Oswin
08-31-2005, 3:43 PM
I am a new owner of the Jet 1642 EVS. Before I made the purchase I read Dominic Greco's review on this lathe.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

It was mentioned that the "handwheel" was a vacuum adapter. Those of you with this lathe running a vacuum chuck,how did you plumb to this adapter?

I also bought Oneways live center adapter and it will not thread onto Jet's live center. Anyone else have this problem?

With a previous lathe I owned I just took the live center to a machine shop and they made up an adapter for me to 1"- 8 tpi.
By the time you fuss with shipping and fiddling this may be faster if not cheaper.

Regards
Bob

Dominic Greco
09-01-2005, 9:20 PM
Loy,
Glad to see another person took the plunge and purchased a 1642! :D

My Jet live center accepts all of the Oneway accessories like they were made for it! The version of the Jet Live center I have features the same 3/4" TPI that the Oneway has. I have the Oneway Bullnose cone, a Oneway medium sized cone, and the Oneway faceplate adapter. All of them fit perfectly. And would you believe that I bought most of these accessories from the Oneway booth at the local Woodworking show?

Like Jim said, Jet might have recently changed the design to avoid any legal ramifications.

And about your vacuum pump set up: I will attach a picture of the one I made. So far it has served me well for the last 2 years. It was so simple to make it was a crime! I used an article from WoodCentral's Badger Pond Archives (written by Al Crandall I believe) as the basis for it's construction.

Loy Hawes
09-02-2005, 2:04 AM
Thanks for the info Dominic,and everyone else. Can you tell me a little more about the interface to the handwheel.

Dominic Greco
09-03-2005, 7:44 PM
Loy,
I've attached an exploded view of the Rotary Union I fabricated for my lathe's vacuum chucking system. The hollow threaded rod goes through the hole in the headstock. The vacuum seal is maintained by tight tolerances at the bearing, and at the threaded bushing in the PVC Vacuum Bell (shown in previous post).

Take a look at this article to read up on more of the details of it's construction.

Shopmade Vacuum Chuck (http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/smvachuck.pdf)

The main difference between my design and Al's is that I used compressor hose with quick disconnect fittings rather than compression fittings and plastic hose.

Loy Hawes
09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I decided to keep things simple. I found a sealed bearing measuring 1 1/2" OD x 1/2" ID x 3/8" Thick. I have a neighbor who has access to a metal lathe at his work machine a seat into the end of the handwheel. The bearing was then pressed into the handwheel. He took a standard brass male airline fitting and turned the threads down. The fitting was then pressed into the bearing.

As far as the problem with my live center, I plan on purchasing an adapter from Packard that mounts on the tailstock and has the 1 1/4" x 8 tpi threads.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Bill Esposito
09-10-2005, 3:48 PM
Here's a pic of Jets old Live center (bottom) and their new live center (P/N 709933)
As of last month the parts were interchangable.

http://cerealport.homeip.net/pics/jetlivecenter709933.jpg

Loy Hawes
09-10-2005, 7:09 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Bill. I just went out into the garage to check it again. The oneway adapter makes it on to the first thread of the jet live center then stops. I am assuming at this point that the threads in the adapter were not cut deep enough.I measured the diameter of the threads on the live center with my calipers. They measured just about 3/4"

I plan on calling my local woodcraft to see if they have any jets in stock with the same live center. If they do I will go over there with the oneway adapter and see if it threads onto their live center. If it does I will have to call the place where I purchased it and see about making an exchange.

Loy Hawes
09-11-2005, 6:34 PM
I just got back from Woodcraft.My assumption was wrong. The Oneway adapter threaded on to their Jet live center. Looks like I will be calling Jet in the morning.

Loy Hawes
09-13-2005, 4:24 PM
I just got off the phone with Jet. The guy told me their live center's aren't made to work with Oneway's stuff. I told him about everyone at SawmillCreek who says otherwise and explained how the Oneway adapter threaded onto the live center at Woodcraft. It took some convincing,but a new live center is on its way.