PDA

View Full Version : Just a PIP (progress in pictures)

steven c newman
11-11-2015, 12:18 AM
By working a bit resting a bit, cussing a bit.....Finally getting things almost done. meds are working nicely on the back. paperwork they sent said I should stretch things a bit to loosen things up. I don't think it said anything about cussing enough to make a sailor blush, though..

Anyway, here is a couple shots of where I'm at on this tool tote project....
Bottom is installed, and nailed in place, edges are flushed to the bottom
Handle is done, and installed. Just a pair of ring shank nails in each end. Top edges have been planed flat and sanded.

Still have the sides to work on, maybe a tool holder inside? This will hold a full sized saw. Not sure what finish to use....we'll see how it goes..

steven c newman
11-11-2015, 6:16 PM
Ok, rested the back most of the day toiday. Finally wandered down to the shop for a bit..
Dovetails have been trimmed flush, with a slight round over on the corners. Counter sunk a few nails, then used the planes.
Final sanding has been done...100grit in a 1/4 sheet sander with dust filter.

A single coat of SMELLY BLO is on. Brush it on, wipe it down, allow to dry......hands still stink from the BLO.

Tried out a full length hand saw to see how it fit in the tote......Depending on the handle for the saw, it will be either teeth up, or teeth down. But, the saw fits. I can lean it towards to center handle and it rides nicely. ..

Now, IF anyone want the sizes, and angles, I can go and measure it up. Angle of the splay is still set on the mitrebox. ...For the expense part....1 @ 1x 6 x8' and one @1 x 6 x3' were store bought pine. The oak was a freebie. A few ring shanked finish nail, and other supplies....might have~ $10 wrapped up in this little tote.

Pictures when the BLO is dried...

steven c newman
11-11-2015, 7:43 PM
And...drum roll please..
Over all length=33-1/2", width over the "Gunwales" is a hair past 12" from the bottom up to the top of the handle is about 7-1/2"....sides are cut at a 22-1/2 degree angle. One coat of BLO. That is a full length handsaw sitting there.

Nice little project, too...

John Kananis
11-11-2015, 7:52 PM
Nice progress, also, as far as the back is concerned, I feel your pain (often) - feel better.

James Pallas
11-11-2015, 8:22 PM
Well done Steven. A handy thing to have and the price is right too. I enjoy your builds, and your tool work also. Go to the shop tune up a tool or two grab a few pieces of wood and make something. It is just good fun.
Jim

Chris Hachet
11-12-2015, 3:56 PM
A very impressive project.

steven c newman
11-14-2015, 9:25 PM
Well..BLO is now dry, and no longer stinking the place up. Have been looking around at ways to carry a set of chisels in it, and maybe a till for a handsaw or three. Maybe a divider or two to keep things from sliding around?

Weight of this tote is maybe 5-8 pounds..empty. Not too heavy...yet. maybe add a way for a PADDED strap to go over one's shoulder?

Prashun Patel
11-15-2015, 7:43 AM
Very nice. I mhave a question about the hAndle. How is it attached to the walls?

steven c newman
11-15-2015, 9:23 AM
Handle sit in a dado/mortise, and has a couple nails to hold each end in place
Didn't use any glue. I figured it would be easier to replace this way..IF the handle should ever get broken.

Prashun Patel
11-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Oh yes. Now i see the nails.