PDA

View Full Version : Online Source for variety of wood screws and threaded inserts

David Tolsky
11-10-2015, 6:38 PM
What is the best, most reasonable source for buying square-drive screws and threaded inserts? I seem to remember a place I used to order from before I was forced to put my tools in storage, called Square Drive Screws or something like that...

Bill Adamsen
11-10-2015, 7:11 PM
Square drive I typically think McFeeleys ... I have not ordered from them in years, but they always carried a wide range of square drive fasteners. I believe they underwent an ownership change in early 2014 and I have no idea how that might have impacted their stocking and customer service.

There are lots of outfits that specialize in "specialty" fasteners.
Jamestown Distributors --> bronze (and stainless) frearson (Reed & Prince) screws
Nutty Company --> odd machinist bolts
Blacksmith Bolt --> square head bolts
Faering Design --> copper rivets and roves

David Tolsky
11-11-2015, 3:13 AM
Square drive I typically think McFeeleys ... I have not ordered from them in years, but they always carried a wide range of square drive fasteners. I believe they underwent an ownership change in early 2014 and I have no idea how that might have impacted their stocking and customer service.

There are lots of outfits that specialize in "specialty" fasteners.
Jamestown Distributors --> bronze (and stainless) frearson (Reed & Prince) screws
Nutty Company --> odd machinist bolts
Blacksmith Bolt --> square head bolts
Faering Design --> copper rivets and roves

Yeah McFeeley's is the name I've been trying to remember. Ordered from them years ago with good results. Hope they're still around.

Davis Young
11-11-2015, 3:34 AM
I've ordered from McFeely's several times in the past year. They have free shipping over $99 so I stock up on Spax screws when I place an order. No problems on fulfillment but couple of times they neglected to send the "order has been shipped" email and by the time I noticed, the package had arrived already. The most recent order was by the book so no complaints there. Another place I like for hardware and they really cut down on the frustration factor in terms of website user-friendliness is McMaster-Carr. I live close enough to one of their location so I go to will call but I understand their shipping rates are quite reasonable.

Ed Edwards
11-11-2015, 4:07 AM
David,
Don't make the mistake I did when I first ordered their square drive screws. I ended up ordering not square drive, but a combo head screws.
What a disappointment, you can't get them to stick on to the driver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ed

David Tolsky
11-11-2015, 3:30 PM
David,
Don't make the mistake I did when I first ordered their square drive screws. I ended up ordering not square drive, but a combo head screws.
What a disappointment, you can't get them to stick on to the driver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ed

Thanks Ed, yeah I generally stay away from the combo heads. I'm sure McFeeley's would take the combos back if that's not what you meant to order. I generally did like their square drive screws and it was nice that they always threw in the different sized square drive bits as a bonus :)