PDA

View Full Version : Using a Piece that has a slight banana as a edge trim for two pieces of 3/4" ply

George Bokros
11-10-2015, 5:51 PM
I am laminating two pieces of 3/4" ply (had previous post about doing this lamination) and would like to use a piece of soft maple as the edge trim on this. It has a slight banana to its length. Will the wood be strong enough to break the glue joint? I would attach the edge banding so the ends are in contact and clamp the middle so it contacts the ply edges.

Thoughts?

Mel Fulks
11-10-2015, 6:20 PM
Don't think it would be possible for it to break it. Full speed ahead!

Lee Schierer
11-10-2015, 8:17 PM
Gluing to the edge of plywood requires a bit more glue than edge gluing finished lumber. Be sure to use enough glue so that you get a good bond and don't starve the joint.

Robert Payne
11-10-2015, 8:39 PM
I would use Edge Banding Router Bits to insure a good glue bond -- the bowed hardwood edging can be forced to be cut correctly by using strong feather boards on your router table -- if it is milled to a thickness greater than the plywood, it can be flush trimmed for a perfect edge. BTDT.

Jerry Miner
11-11-2015, 12:00 AM
If you can push the maple into position with gentle hand pressure, you'll be fine. As said above, use plenty of glue and get good coverage on the ply edges.

George Bokros
11-11-2015, 7:17 AM
The assembly will be with a tongue on each piece of ply and grooves on the facing strip. Yes it can be pressed into place with gentle hand pressure.

Thanks for all the responses.

Rich Engelhardt
11-11-2015, 7:45 AM
George,
You should be fine w/that setup.
I had a few banana boards and a couple of twistys among the face frames I just made.
They glued up fine with the T&G.