PDA

View Full Version : corel help

Bert Kemp
11-10-2015, 5:40 PM
I have some odd shaped pieces that are to long for my bed so in corel I'd like to put a line thru the piece at the half way point the separate the 2 pieces cut them and then I can glue them together.
I can't figure out how to get the pieces to split so I can cut them separately. Got to be an easy way but I don't know it.:confused:

Lee DeRaud
11-10-2015, 6:00 PM
Kind of like busting up a big mural for engraving on tile? The key word is "powerclip"...I don't use it often enough to tell you how to do it quickly, but a quick search should pop up a tutorial.

Bert Kemp
11-10-2015, 6:18 PM
I don't know if that will work for this. I drew a line thru the object and I'm trying to separate them were the line is , I'm not trying to insert stuff into it .

Glen Monaghan
11-10-2015, 6:24 PM
you're going at it backwards. He meant powerclip the object into a grid (two squares or rectangles, each the size you want to cut, with one half the object in one rectangle and the other half in the other rectangle), not powerclip something into your object.

Bert Kemp
11-10-2015, 6:28 PM
I don't think you get what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to split a triangle in half. I have a whole triangle I put a lint thru it at the half way point now I want to pull the halfs apart.325045I want to cut all these in half

Gary Hair
11-10-2015, 6:57 PM
If it's just a triangle then I would draw a line exactly where you want to split it and use smart fill on each side to make the shape you want to cut.

Lee DeRaud
11-10-2015, 6:59 PM
I don't think you get what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to split a triangle in half. I have a whole triangle I put a lint thru it at the half way point now I want to pull the halfs apart.325045I want to cut all these in halfI still think you can do it with 'powerclip', but the brute-force approach is to draw your dividing line, make two copies, and use 'virtual segment delete' to remove the "other" half from each copy.

Lee DeRaud
11-10-2015, 7:01 PM
If it's just a triangle then I would draw a line exactly where you want to split it and use smart fill on each side to make the shape you want to cut.Or that...a clear example of "additive" versus "subtractive".

David Somers
11-10-2015, 7:06 PM
Bert,

Perhaps I am being dense, but doesnt your Lapin USA laser have pass through doors?
Lapin is French for Rabbit BTW. And no, I dont speak a lick of French and was just having fun being pretentious on a cloudy Tuesday. <grin>

Dave

Gary Hair
11-10-2015, 7:12 PM
just having fun being pretentious on a cloudy Tuesday.

You're in Seattle David, you must have a lot of pretentious fun... :)

Bert Kemp
11-10-2015, 7:18 PM
Ah Ha Brute force works LOL Thank you.:) Lot easier then trying to figure out how power clip would do it . :confused:

I still think you can do it with 'powerclip', but the brute-force approach is to draw your dividing line, make two copies, and use 'virtual segment delete' to remove the "other" half from each copy.

Bert Kemp
11-10-2015, 7:20 PM
yes I have pass thru doors but I think the whole alignment:eek: thing would be more of a hassel then just cutting in half and gluing LOl

David Somers
11-10-2015, 11:12 PM
You're in Seattle David, you must have a lot of pretentious fun... :)

<grin> Its a way of life up here Gary!

David Somers
11-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Ooooh. Bert, that seems counter intuitive to me. Which means you are probably very right of course given my track record on that kind of thing. <grin>
You might check it out when you have time. It is pretty simple to do, and the prep you do for it can be used again and again on future jobs.

Mayo Pardo
11-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Bert just use the transformation or weld tool. You would select the one called trim.
Not sure if it will work if the triangles are not converted to curves so you may need to do that first.
I just tried it on an old version 9 of Corel and it works either way.
Draw the line where you want to divide the triangle. Select the line first, then do the trim command from the weld/transformation menu, then click the triangle. Now move the triangle away from where it was, then go to Break Apart, and you will have your pieces.

Jack Clague
11-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Group your entire image together, convert group to curves, then draw a hairline line where you want to split it, then select the line in object manager, press and hold ctrl then select the "image" curve, then use the trim button, sorry not at home so i cannot take a screenshot, or you can use the knife feature in Corel to do the same

Bert Kemp
11-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Well the other thing is I have wood on hand that will fit in the laser and will work for what I want to do. So I don't have to spend anymore money:D Its another Pro Bono job for the American Legion.
oh I almost forgot HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL THE MARINES SEMPER FI

Ooooh. Bert, that seems counter intuitive to me. Which means you are probably very right of course given my track record on that kind of thing. <grin>
You might check it out when you have time. It is pretty simple to do, and the prep you do for it can be used again and again on future jobs.