PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Mesquite Vase

Ernie Nyvall
08-30-2005, 10:19 PM
9x5, this thing really soaked up the oil and just kept getting darker. I experimented with the inside with more blo/thinner/varnish mixture and it almost turned black (some dust in the bottom :o ). Critiques welcome.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
08-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Nice Job Ernie!
Beautiful wood and the form is a pleasing shape.
I hope to turn some mesquite someday

Jerry Clark
08-30-2005, 11:41 PM
It is a nice form and color :rolleyes: Ernie what is the size, looks good.

Michael Stafford
08-31-2005, 6:37 AM
Pretty cool, Ernie! How did you hollow that deeply? I recently turned a similar piece in green wood end grain fashion and had some difficulty having enough reach with my tool rest for conventional turning tools. Beautiful color!

Dick Parr
08-31-2005, 7:20 AM
I really like it Ernie, it has a beautiful shape and I like the dark color.

Great Job :)

Alan Turner
08-31-2005, 7:39 AM
Nice work, Ernie. As to the soaking up of an oil finish, how about if you [ut a sealer coat of shellac on first in order to limit the soaking? This comment probably proves that I am not a turner, which is the case.

Sparky Paessler
08-31-2005, 8:24 AM
Looks great Ernie! I like the dark color. Good from also. I will have to try some that type shape.

SP

Jeff Sudmeier
08-31-2005, 8:40 AM
Ernie, I love the deep color of this peice! The darker interior really adds to it as well.

Jim Becker
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
The color on that piece is really wonderful, Ernie!

Keith Burns
08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Ernie, i have been under the impression that you were fairly new to turning. I guess you have been hustleing us. That is an excellent piece. I like the form and color. Looks like you got the walls pretty thin too. Keep them coming!

Kurt Aebi
08-31-2005, 1:05 PM
Super-Fantastic, Ernie!

Great job and the contrasr between the inside and outside is rally something to behold. You really did a great job on keeping the walls so thin and true - I'd have busted it for sure!

Great Job & thanks for showing it off to us - you should be real proud of that one!

Ernie Nyvall
08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Your nice comments are wonderful to read.

Mike, yes it was hard to get down in there and that is about as deep as I can go with the tools I have, but the mouth is big and I was able to get my 12" toolrest inside the thing so to get that reach.

Keith, I'm not new to flat woodwork and I did get my lathe back in January of this year. The people here at SMC have been helpful over and beyond the call of duty. I can't thank everyone enough for all the duffus questions I've asked, and asked again.

Alan, not at all a bad idea for another one to keep the color of the wood, however the inside looks really old and I have seen others go for that look with tar and such. I think I've happened upon a way to get that look, for mesquite anyway, and so may try it on another piece that has no particular figure in it.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
My computer had been down and when I got back on I saw this beautiful piece. Thanks for showing it to us.

John Hart
09-04-2005, 7:38 AM
Gorgeous piece Ernie!!!! You're giving me ideas.