PDA

View Full Version : Source for double sided tape

Lee Schierer
11-10-2015, 5:02 PM
I frequently use double sided tape when making duplicate parts. Recently my roll of 3M double sided film tape ran out. Unfortunately, 3M didn't put the product number on the cardboard roll. The tape was an acrylic based adhesive with a clear liner the tape is only a few thousandths (.002-.005) of an inch thick. The removable backing was white. It was 1-1/4 wide. I have another project coming where I'm going to need this tape.

I checked my local tape sources and none carry anything except carpet tape which is too thick for my needs.

Anyone have a good source for double sided tape?

Bruce Page
11-10-2015, 5:44 PM
I don't have a lot of experience but I bought a roll of Peachtree's double stick tape for holding small pieces to be cut on my cnc router. It worked better than I expected.

Tom M King
11-10-2015, 6:08 PM
Might be on this list. Once you find exactly the model number, google should be able to find it for sale. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Tapes-3M-Adhesives/?Ntt=double+sided+tape&rt=rs&x=17&y=9

Robyn Horton
11-10-2015, 7:35 PM
here is one listed on 3M's collision web site http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/attachment-tapes/scotch-a-t-g-adhesive-system-924-3503.html (http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/attachment-tapes/scotch-a-t-g-adhesive-system-924-3503.html)

Bruce Wrenn
11-10-2015, 9:20 PM
Reid Industries (I forgot what their new name is) carries a lot of different types of tape. I have also bought double sided tape from Grainger.

Matt Day
11-10-2015, 9:47 PM
I have some duck brand tape I got from Amazon. It is super strong and the best I've used so far. Used it this morning at the router table.

Davis Young
11-11-2015, 4:04 AM
You can try this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-tape-with-adhesive-on-both-sides/=zrdyqa I found one that matched your description except in width. 1" or 1-1/2" was the closest. What I use and like is a paper tape with a rubber adhesive. .007" thickness and quite strong. I use it for pattern routing. I believe it is Intertape 591.

lowell holmes
11-11-2015, 6:22 AM
I bought my last batch of carpet tape from Amazon.

Fred Heenie
11-11-2015, 6:59 AM
I use a 2 sided product from Woodcraft that was touted on the "net" several years ago by turners but I use id for router patterns and it works great. Is not cheap but reliable!!

Dan Bundy
11-11-2015, 7:17 AM
Golf club component companies also sell it for regripping clubs. Hireko and Golfworks are the two places I order from. Both have two versions, a water-activated tape and a a solvent-activated tape (water or solvent is so the tape will get slippery and grip will slide on easily, not a real consideration for woodworking). The water-activated tape is more "plasticy" than the other, which is more paper-like.

DB

Curt Harms
11-11-2015, 9:39 AM
I use a 2 sided product from Woodcraft that was touted on the "net" several years ago by turners but I use id for router patterns and it works great. Is not cheap but reliable!!

I suspect I use the same thing. Mine was sold as 'turners tape'. Supposed to be very strong in shear but less so in tension so it's easier to separate the finished parts. One caveat - make sure both surfaces are clean and SMOOTH. I was using some tape to secure plywood pieces to form a template to route an opening in a router table for a plate. 3 sides held fine, one piece of plywood was a little rough. Grrrr:mad:.

Grant Wilkinson
11-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Lee Valley has a turners' tape that holds very well.

Alan Lightstone
11-11-2015, 11:04 AM

+1. Works great.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-11-2015, 11:10 AM

I have some as well that I really like.

At the time, they indicated that they had two varieties (or my memory is wrong). One held stronger than the other.

David C. Roseman
11-11-2015, 6:49 PM
+1 on the woodturner's tape from Woodcraft. Very strong, but check the thickness, as it might be a bit too thick for your requirements.

Peter Quinn
11-11-2015, 6:57 PM
I was told about findtape.com by a fellow creeker in my last tape search, they have pretty much every configuration imaginable. First round I bought was a crepe paper based product, very thin but hard to remove as it disintegrates as its removed. I use it for template attachment so removable is as important as strong. I switched to a cloth backed tape that has been great. Their prices are very reasonable compared to wood working stores. Worth a look.

Don Jarvie
11-11-2015, 7:25 PM
I have tape from Shurtape. I think I got it at HD but can't remember.

Ryan Baker
11-11-2015, 7:53 PM
The turner's tape from Woodcraft is pretty good. The double sided tape from Stewart McDonald is even better, but it isn't cheap. I don't know exactly what the StewMac tape is -- most likely it is some 3M product, though I don't recall seeing 3M on the core. That's the best stuff I have used when you need thin, high shear hold, and relatively easy to remove without leaving residue behind.

Thomas Canfield
11-11-2015, 8:24 PM
I have used Duck brand double sided carpet tape successfully for holding patterns and also some for holding a "plate" to large wood faceplate for turning. It is surprising how little is required for holding. Big problem separating if you use too much. Forgot to say it is available at Wal-Mart and many other stores at reasonable price.

John K Jordan
11-11-2015, 9:04 PM
>from Woodcraft

I have been using this for years and it holds amazingly well.

The problem is getting things apart! A friend who uses it to hold large turning blanks to a faceplate injects acetone into the joint with a hypodermic syringe and needle. Another friend an I both find that a steady force, say from a small wedge, will VERY slowly cause a separation (may take an hour or more).

paul dyar
11-12-2015, 10:29 PM
The last I got was from Uline.

Cary Falk
11-13-2015, 8:37 AM
I have the 2 sided turner's tape from Woodcraft also.

Al Launier
11-13-2015, 9:21 AM
Check out "double sided" tapes on www.golfsmith.com. I've used this tape for years for making my golf clubs and found they hold extremely well for woodworking projects. Unfortunately I don't know what the thicknesses are, but you could ask them.

Darrin Vanden Bosch
11-15-2015, 9:08 AM
I get mine at lowes or hd, exactly what you described.

Frank Ashmore
11-15-2015, 9:52 AM
Lowes carries double sided duct tape