PDA

View Full Version : Engraving onto shooting 'clays'

Dave Hutton
11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Has anybody tried engraving onto the 'clays' that are used at clay pigeon shoots?

I don't know what they are made of I'm afraid.

I've been asked whether it would be possible to use them to make a unique style of trophy .

(this is pre purchase of a laser BTW - I'm checking out some possible income streams :-)

Cheers

DJ

Matt Schrum
11-10-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't know if engraving is possible, but I used to work at an asphalt lab and we were working up some new formulations for a major clay pigeon manufacturer. Long story short, they are made out of an asphalt that's too brittle and hard for use on roads-- but works pretty well for shooting! Once you get the right properties, slap a coat or orange paint on it and you're good to go.

Bob Hoff
11-10-2015, 11:02 AM
I have engraved them a couple of times, they engrave well. The orange color on top is typically fairly sloppy and hit or miss for coverage so I usually give that area a quick spray with a similar color. Measured the diameter for that area and made a 1/4" plywood template that fits right over for quick and easy spraying.

Dave Hutton
11-10-2015, 11:07 AM
thanks chaps - I'll pick up a few next time I have a 'missing' session and give it a go then. We tend to use the black ones here with an occasional red exploding one which wins you a bottle of wine (not me mind :-)

I had in mind to colour fill when I can do it and might make an nice trophy as a change from the usual ones.

DJ

Bill George
11-10-2015, 1:06 PM
thanks chaps - I'll pick up a few next time I have a 'missing' session and give it a go then. We tend to use the black ones here with an occasional red exploding one which wins you a bottle of wine (not me mind :-)

I had in mind to colour fill when I can do it and might make an nice trophy as a change from the usual ones.

DJ

Make them with a 3D printer and emboss their name on top. I can almost guarantee they will take more then one shot.

David Somers
11-10-2015, 2:01 PM
I have to admit, when I first read the title to this thread I thought this was about a customer who wanted to engrave "clay's" that would be used for shooting. I thought,"Wow! Talk about conspicuous consumption!" I also wondered if a person's marksmanship could be improved significantly by engraving a photo of a hated boss or ex on the "clay?" Think about the added incentive of engraving the photo on an exploding "clay!" Woohooooo! Could be a new niche market for engraving Dave!

Hopefully laser engraving an exploding pigeon doesnt cause it to......explode? <grin>

Dave

Mayo Pardo
11-11-2015, 12:17 AM
I have gone metal detecting in a location that used to have a shooting range and the pieces of clay targets I've dug up all seemed to be very similar to clay pots used for plants and gardening.
They weren't metallic, but the brass and coins beneath them were...