PDA

View Full Version : Driver Bits

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-10-2015, 8:51 AM
I am tired of using low quality bits from the BORG (eg. - DeWalt) that break or wear out with normal use. I'm looking for a good set that will work without problems arising after a few uses. Money isn't a problem as long as the quality is superb.

George Bokros
11-10-2015, 8:55 AM
I have a set of Milwaukee impact duty bits that works very well.

Tom M King
11-10-2015, 9:02 AM
Weha bits are supposed to be really good. I bought some a while back. They got mixed in with the rest of ours, and we don't notice the difference in them and the other, mostly Milwaukee, ones. My preference is TORX ("stardrive") whenever possible. I can't imagine anyone except professional deck builders would use them more than we do.

Bill Ryall
11-10-2015, 9:56 AM
+1 in the Milwaukee bits. That is all I will buy anymore. They hold up exceptionally well.

ken masoumi
11-10-2015, 12:32 PM
+1 in the Milwaukee bits. That is all I will buy anymore. They hold up exceptionally well.
+2, of course they don't last forever but they can take abuse quite well.

lowell holmes
11-10-2015, 2:26 PM
Go online to Amazon. They have a wide selection of vendors that sell cobalt bits. I think you can find what you want there.

Prashun Patel
11-10-2015, 2:50 PM
I've had good luck with the Lee Valley ones.

But honestly, I've also had good luck with the Dewalts...

Greg R Bradley
11-10-2015, 3:39 PM
I've had good luck with the Lee Valley ones.

Some of the Dewalts have been great, some junk. Probably switched suppliers.
So far not seen any issues with Milwaukee.

Wiha has been great and so have the various industrial grades from my local tool supplier. Of course they also sell cheapies.

These are impact bits used in impact drivers, right?

Don Sundberg
11-10-2015, 3:55 PM
If you are talking Phillips drive, then snap on sells some very good bits. And pricey!

Warren Wilson
11-10-2015, 4:02 PM
I just avoid Phillips heads as much as possible. Roberton, torx, hex: anything (except slot) is so much better I am surprised any phillips sell.

Peter Kelly
11-10-2015, 4:45 PM
I am tired of using low quality bits from the BORG (eg. - DeWalt) that break or wear out with normal use. I'm looking for a good set that will work without problems arising after a few uses. Money isn't a problem as long as the quality is superb.http://chadstoolbox.com/felo
Superb quality and not much more expensive than the China garbage the box stores carry.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-10-2015, 7:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. Yep, I was looking for feedback on impact driver bits. Placed an order for a new set.

Ed Edwards
11-11-2015, 4:22 AM
You can't miss with APEX brand drivers, Both regular and impact are available as well as the different point configurations

Ed.

Rich Engelhardt
11-11-2015, 7:51 AM
I am tired of using low quality bits from the BORG (eg. - DeWalt) that break or wear out with normal use.
I see you answered my question already....
My question is, are these for a drill/driver or impact driver.

My little Milwaukee 12V impact driver eats regular Phillips bits - no matter what brand - like candy.
It works fine with impact driver bits - no matter what brand.

Ole Anderson
11-11-2015, 9:38 AM
Go online to Amazon. They have a wide selection of vendors that sell cobalt bits. I think you can find what you want there.

I would think that cobalt bits would be way too brittle for impact bits. I know cobalt drill bits break easier than steel, but are harder and work better for stainless steel. I have used them quite a bit when I used to work with stainless steel.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-11-2015, 11:30 AM
I see you answered my question already.... My question is, are these for a drill/driver or impact driver. My little Milwaukee 12V impact driver eats regular Phillips bits - no matter what brand - like candy. It works fine with impact driver bits - no matter what brand.

Impact driver.

Ben Rivel
11-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I just started looking myself for something better. I have always used DeWalt bits and recently bought a set of various sizes from Wiha and am trying those out. They were pretty inexpensive from Carbide Processors using the "creekers" 10% coupon code and free shipping over $150 with no tax.

Alan Lightstone
11-11-2015, 3:19 PM
I haven't been able to kill Weha Robertson bits. I don't even think about using Phillips bits anymore.

John Sanford
11-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I've found that it doesn't make much difference which bits I use, as long as I'm using impact bits with the big impact driver. Philips bits ARE consumable, by design, or more accurately, as a side effect of their primary design goals. So I just have a bunch. Square drive, ditto, although regular bits last longer with impacts than do Philips bits. Torx I don't use enough to have any sense of their durability.

Steve Peterson
11-12-2015, 11:57 AM

That may be true if you have some of their older ones. As soon as you replace them, you may notice the decline in quality. The stuff they sell at HD has gone downhill really fast lately.

Steve

Greg R Bradley
11-12-2015, 12:16 PM
That may be true if you have some of their older ones. As soon as you replace them, you may notice the decline in quality. The stuff they sell at HD has gone downhill really fast lately.
Steve
It seems to be a different supplier as the difference is not subtle.

Stanley Black & Decker is terrible about destroying the quality of good brands and creating the illusion of value. You can't really rely on Dewalt as a brand to be a certain quality as it varies a lot on different tools. Seems best to consider each tool individually. Some of them are really excellent but then they eventually seem to cut some corner.

Lots of other brands seem to be doing the same but they seem to have started this idea. Maybe good for them but sometimes not so good for us.

Tom Walz
11-13-2015, 1:34 PM
Free bits

Wiha bits come in 2 - packs. We will send a pack of 2 bits of your choice to the first five who respond by posting here.

These are Terminator impact power bits. These are the longer, really heavy duty bits.

Please post here so everybody knows. Then email Jo at emgt@carbideprocessors.com or call 800 346-8274

Thank you,
Tom Walz

Garth Almgren
11-13-2015, 2:02 PM
That's really generous, thanks Tom! I'd like to take you up on that. :)

scott vroom
11-13-2015, 2:14 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll also take you up on your offer.

Greg R Bradley
11-13-2015, 2:14 PM
I would like to try some of them for the heavy construction screws in T30.

Bill Orbine
11-13-2015, 2:34 PM
Count me in........... I another frustrated impact driver operator.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-13-2015, 3:12 PM
Count me in as well. Thank you!

John Sanford
11-13-2015, 7:00 PM
Free bits

Wiha bits come in 2 - packs. We will send a pack of 2 bits of your choice to the first five who respond by posting here.

These are Terminator impact power bits. These are the longer, really heavy duty bits.

Please post here so everybody knows. Then email Jo at emgt@carbideprocessors.com or call 800 346-8274

Thank you,
Tom Walz

ooh, ooh, I'm in. Hmmm, what bits do I NEED?

Fred Heenie
11-14-2015, 6:39 AM
Using the correct bit is perhaps more important than the source of the bit. I prefer either Apex or S&G's imports, But the key is choosing the correct bit with a correct fit. check out the wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives And particularly the cruciform types.
HTH

Alan Lightstone
11-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Those terminator bits are the Weha bits I mentioned as being unable to kill. They really are well made.

Gene Takae
11-15-2015, 4:27 AM
From what I understand impact rated bits are actually softer than regular bits to prevent them from shattering from the impacts-similar to impact sockets. I personally know of people using non-impact rated bits in an impact and having the bit break off in their chuck and not able to be removed. I wonder if any company sells a hybrid bit that is hardened at the tip for durability but softer at the back end to prevent shattering?

Bill Orbine
03-08-2016, 3:01 PM
Free bits

Thank you,
Tom Walz

I bring this thread back because it's only fair to offer my report on the Wiha Terminator impact power bit I received for free from Carbide Processors. On this thread, I was one of the first five to respond to Tom Walz's (of Carbide Processor) offer. I requested and received TWO #2 philips Wiha Terminator impact bits late November 2015.

So far, I've used ONE Wiha Terminator impact bit for more than two months using an 18 volt impact driver. I probably drove in (and sometimes out) probably more than a 1000 screws with very little slippage or jumping off until it finally broke the other day. Since December, I've built and installed a bath vanity, mudroom cabinets, laundry cabinets, kitchen cabinets and other small projects all with ONE Wiha impact bit using the impact driver. Any slippage or jumps is mainly because the screw takes a different direction or I didn't properly align the driver. Usually with most other manufactures bits, if I let it occasionally slip or jump, it usually damages the bit and renders it ineffective and useless.... that is not the case with the Wiha bits. The Wiha bit stayed sharp and drove in many more screws without problems.

The Wiha bits, though more expensive, is worth the additional expense and I will certainly buy more of these bits from Carbide Processors. I thank Tom Walz for the offer and the opportunity to test these Wiha Terminator impact bits. These are great! Now where did I put that second Wiha impact bit?

Phillip Mitchell
03-08-2016, 10:01 PM
GRK brand torx bits are the toughest and best I've used. Use them pretty much everyday as a carpenter and they are much better than the generic brands I can find at Lowes. I've seen T20-T40. They probably make square drive and phillips bits as well.

Greg R Bradley
03-08-2016, 10:27 PM
I also was a recipient of Tom's free Terminator bits in T-30 for heavy construction screws. I couldn't find this post so started a new one to tell people just how good they are.

The GRK are good but the Wiha Terminator are FAR better. We buy many thousands of GRK construction screws per year. Great screws, decent bits.

The Wiha Terminator bits are really the best I've found. My only complaint is that they are 2" long and many items work better in longer lengths.