PDA

View Full Version : Plane Till

Roy Lindberry
11-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Well, I finally built some storage for my planes. It's pretty basic and simple, but it works. I've always had dreams of building a big, beautiful hanging tool cabinet that would fit just about everything. Lately, I've come to realize that if I hold out for such a cabinet, I'll never have a place to store my tools. So, I've started to build functional tool storage that meets my needs, even if it isn't a piece of cabinetry. This one is just a bit of alder, and some strips of black walnut. Now onto the saw till, to fill up that blank space on the wall.

Randy Karst
11-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Roy,
I a very nice straight forward design - I like it! Thanks for sharing, I have been procrastinating (strategizing?) and need to follow your lead I think.

Jim Koepke
11-10-2015, 12:28 AM
I've always had dreams of building a big, beautiful hanging tool cabinet that would fit just about everything. Lately, I've come to realize that if I hold out for such a cabinet, I'll never have a place to store my tools.

Roy,
I a very nice straight forward design - I like it! Thanks for sharing, I have been procrastinating (strategizing?) and need to follow your lead I think.

Same here with the stargazing. Paralysis of analysis is a common guardian against progress.

It looks good.

Is there anything stored behind the deck the planes rest on?

Is gravity alone holding them or are magnets used?

Thanks for sharing, maybe it will get me off my duff to build some tool storage.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
11-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Same here with the stargazing. Paralysis of analysis is a common guardian against progress.

It looks good.

Thanks.

Is there anything stored behind the deck the planes rest on?

Nope. It's a big hollow space up there. I thought about trying to use it, but figured any storage under the planes would like be too much bother to put things in and take them out. I can, however, put some taller items on the shelf as long as I have room to tip it to get it in.

Is gravity alone holding them or are magnets used?

Right now, gravity alone. Most of the planes seem really stable like that (barring an earthquake, of course). I may get some magnets and inset them into the deck in the future.

Jim Koepke
11-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Nope. It's a big hollow space up there. I thought about trying to use it, but figured any storage under the planes would like be too much bother to put things in and take them out.

Be a good place for a hidden shelf to keep things out of sight.

jtk

ken hatch
11-10-2015, 4:43 AM
Thanks.

Nope. It's a big hollow space up there. I thought about trying to use it, but figured any storage under the planes would like be too much bother to put things in and take them out. I can, however, put some taller items on the shelf as long as I have room to tip it to get it in.

Right now, gravity alone. Most of the planes seem really stable like that (barring an earthquake, of course). I may get some magnets and inset them into the deck in the future.

Roy,

My plane till is like yours, maybe a little less angle but pretty close. One day I came home and found one of my planes on the floor. Luckily it landed on a soft spot and no real harm was done but I added magnets. I sleep better now. BTW, your till is much prettier than mine, nice work.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/planeTillMagnets20150315_zpswb8tw8zy.jpg

ken