PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen low angle jack plane

Kent Adams
11-09-2015, 6:30 PM
So a guy is selling a relatively new, perhaps new within the past 5 years, this plane. He said he has lapped the sole flat. Why would he need to do that on a LN. The guy is a hobbyist, and I don't think he's been doing it all that long either. I just can't imagine a need to flatten the LN sole unless its been abused. Any thoughts?

Jim Koepke
11-09-2015, 6:56 PM
Some folks only know what they have been told. Someone else may have told him all planes need the sole lapped.

With customer service as it is at everyone's two favorite tool makers, if the sole of the plane needs lapping, it is best to send it back to the maker as they are more than willing to make customers happy.

I would inspect the plane very carefully and expect a deep discount from the price of a new LN LA Jack before considering the purchase of this plane.

BTW, I have one of these and it is one of my favorite planes.

I have done very little fettling on this plane. Most of the fettling has been on the adjustable mouth plate. The sides were honed on an Arkansas stone to make them a little smoother for ease of adjusting the mouth setting.

jtk

Stanley Covington
11-09-2015, 8:36 PM
All but one of my 7 or so LN planes had very flat soles, checked against a machinists square for straightness and winding. But my jointer was off, and the critical area in front of the mouth did not contact. I flattened it myself, but wish I had just returned it instead.

Niels Cosman
11-09-2015, 8:52 PM
I am with Jim, sounds a bit odd that it would require lapping if it was relatively new. He may have just been lapping it to put a shine on it.
My first two LN planes were an early 62 and an 95 edge trimming plane I bought in a huge lot of tools that a fella had in storage for 10-15 years. I did end up fine lapping the 62 just to clean up the surface rust/patina that had built up over the years.

Kent Adams
11-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Well, I asked the seller why he flattened the sole on what looks like a barely used plane, and he directed me to google sole lapped plane. I told him I know why a plane may have its sole flattened, but then directed him to LN website that claimed a .0015 or better flatness. He's gone silent on me. He's also selling 45 1/2 shank router bits, mostly used, for $1200, think I'll pass.

Tony Zaffuto
11-10-2015, 5:58 AM
Reading too many magazines/blogs and not actually using his tools enough? Maybe if he did use the plane, he wouldn't be selling it!