PDA

View Full Version : shop drawer dividers?

Ken Platt
11-08-2015, 9:24 PM
Folks -

I"m looking for some tips or tricks on making quick 'n dirty shop drawer dividers.

In my quest for organizing the shop, I made a bunch of drawers in various configurations, and also bought one of those HF rolling tool cabinets. So, I have plenty of drawers in which to store things, but I need some way to organize the space of the drawers themselves, hopefully easily, cheaply, and somewhat adaptably (is that a word?) in case needs change.

I would have thought this would have been discussed at length here previously, but my searching didn't find much. Pics are especially appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken in Granby, CT

Julie Moriarty
11-09-2015, 9:57 AM
Are you talking about something like this?
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Woodworking/Workbench/wb_drwr_div_01_zpslkijvmmm.jpg

Or you talking about big dividers that can handle a lot of tools between them?

Robert Engel
11-09-2015, 10:30 AM
I would do dadoes.
Cut them in a wide board and rip to width.

Ken Platt
11-09-2015, 9:32 PM
Julie, those are some nice dividers, but I meant something much less....polished, and not necessarily so well fit to individual tools. I had in mind something more functional to divide a drawer for basic organizational purposes, not really so each individual tool had a spot.

And, quick and easy so I can get back to making stuff OTHER than shop projects.

Ken

Kent Adams
11-09-2015, 10:14 PM
You could make dado boxes. I made some boxes this weekend to give me a two tier shelf in each drawer. I could have put dado's on the sides of each box and then placed dividers in each one. Simple and easy to change to fit your needs. I used 1/2 BB plywood, my router table, coping sled and Infinity Tools lap miter bit set (which I love and highly recommend with the set up blocks). Takes about 30 minutes per drawer, including time to cut all the sides on the table saw.

Kent Adams
11-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Julie love those dividers. Are those 1/4 hardwood? I don't see any joinery? How do they stay in place, glue?

glenn bradley
11-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Quick and dirty:

324990 . 324991

Once I decide:

324993 . 324992

Fooling around with foam (fun but, I didn't stick with it):

324989 . 324988

Terry Wawro
11-10-2015, 9:27 PM
For my drawer organization I use the small plastic trays left over when you buy grape tomatoes,mushrooms and microwave meals. Etc. Cheap, easy to get and they hold up surprisingly well.