PDA

View Full Version : Question about FWW DVD

Frederick Skelly
11-08-2015, 3:38 PM
Has anyone bought the archive disk recently - you know, the one with 40 years of back issues? If so, can you tell me if the software let's you drop a .pdf copy of any article you are interested in? I know it allows you to print.

If it will let me drop .pdf of any article in which I'm interested, I could then move it to my android or whatever and read or refer back to the article.

I tried the online archive but found that my android does not render the article quickly unless I .pdf it first.

Thank you!
Fred

Mike Henderson
11-08-2015, 7:37 PM
I don't know about the new DVD but I have one of the older ones - to 2011 - and I copied all of it to my disk drive so the access would be quicker. Works great.

I just went and looked at it on my disk and there's a bunch of .pdf named 0001.pdf, 0002.pdf, etc. I didn't try but I expect you could take those .pdf and move them.

Mike

Frederick Skelly
11-08-2015, 7:48 PM
Thanks Mike! That'sounds what I need! Now I can order the disk and be able to read what I want in my easy chair.
Appreciate your help!
Fred

John Donhowe
11-08-2015, 8:05 PM
I have the edition through 2014, and this is how I've found you can do it using Google Chrome:

1. Open the issue you want, and click on the icon on the taskbar at the bottom, third from the left ("open in PDF").
2. In the Adobe Acrobat menu, save as a pdf file on a folder on your hard drive; default file name is 0xxx.pdf, where xxx is the FWW issue number.
3. Open Google Chrome, and hit Ctrl-O; open the file you saved.
4. Select "print", either from the task bar that pos up in the lower right hand corner of the screen (the printer icon), or from the triple bar box in the upper right hand corner.
5. On the menu that pops up on the left, keep Destination as PDF, but change Pages from "All" to the numbers of the pages you want to print.
6. Name the file of the section you selected to save (the article), and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!

Frederick Skelly
11-09-2015, 6:52 AM
It DOES help. Thank you John!
Fred

Steve Peterson
11-09-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't know about the new DVD but I have one of the older ones - to 2011 - and I copied all of it to my disk drive so the access would be quicker. Works great.

I just went and looked at it on my disk and there's a bunch of .pdf named 0001.pdf, 0002.pdf, etc. I didn't try but I expect you could take those .pdf and move them.

Mike

Each pdf is an entire magazine. My version has 215 pdf files ranging in size from 2MB for the oldest to 20MB for the more recent issues. The entire collection in my version takes 2.13GB. Any pdf reader should be able to open the files, although I don't know if you can save individual articles.

Steve

Frederick Skelly
11-09-2015, 9:20 PM
Thanks Steve!
Fred