PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my 1st CNC service need a build plate drilled and tapped

Joe Walmer
11-08-2015, 1:49 PM
I have never ordered any parts to be CNC made for me so I don't know where to start or what to expect. I just need a build plate for a co2 laser engraver. some 6061 1/4-1/2" thick and 24-30 x 18" or so and all I would need is for it to be reasonably flat and have 20-30 holes drilled and tapped to attach linear rails,extrusion for walls, and mounting feet etc.

I was hoping since its basically a sheet, and all I need is drilling and tapping as the sheets appear to be flat and square its a easier "2-d" type flat cnc machine process, I hope its reasonably cheap. I found the sheets I would buy from temco on ebay for a reasonable price 40-6- bucks even a good deal like 29$ shipped for a 18x24 sheet half inch so hopefully that part wont be too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a service for this maybe even a member here that has a flat cnc type machine for sheets.

I can make the design in corel draw and export it for autocad etc. we will figure that part out but i can do the design.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-08-2015, 5:41 PM
If you need it flat, you probably need to use cast aluminum tooling plate. Or at a minimum, have the seller verify it's flatness.
I've bought a much smaller sized piece of 1/4" plate on Ebay, and it was far from flat.

Cast plate is very flat, but also a lot more money.

Keith Outten
11-08-2015, 9:25 PM
Joe,

Search our Friends of The Creek Directory or post a want ad in the Classifieds Forum.

Joe Walmer
11-09-2015, 4:37 PM
If you need it flat, you probably need to use cast aluminum tooling plate. Or at a minimum, have the seller verify it's flatness.
I've bought a much smaller sized piece of 1/4" plate on Ebay, and it was far from flat.

Cast plate is very flat, but also a lot more money.

Here is the listing I was thinking of it does specifically say its flat aluminum tooling plate. Just imagining this would have to be flatter than mounting the rails to the bottom of my k40 laser.
eBay item# 381226679319

Thanks for the info now I have a new term to search for "fixture plate". My searching came down to an "optical breadboard" would be about what I need made from thorlabs. Looking at fixture cast plates I may just be better off finding one of these used on ebay and snagging it in an auction. https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=159
(https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=159)

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-09-2015, 6:02 PM
No, that's not it. That's 6061.
You want cast tooling plate. One brand is known as MIC-6.

Like this:
eBay#260853964243

Joe Walmer
11-09-2015, 8:30 PM
Thanks so much Gerry that is just what I was looking for and its not too much more it seems. I think I can get away with a thinner sheet what thickness do you recommend I mean would 1/4" stay nice and flat over 24" All I am really mounting is some aluminum extrusion and a 2 pound laser tube. 3/8" sounds safe but 1/2" is probably overkill with this stuff.

Bruce Page
11-09-2015, 11:53 PM
The basic going rate in Albuquerque in the 1990's when I was doing machined part estimating was $4.00 a hole for 1/4-20 UNC through tapped holes in aluminum. $6.00 for clean blind holes.