PDA

View Full Version : MLCS Edge Banding bit set

Larry Browning
08-30-2005, 2:32 PM
Has anyone got an opinion about the edge banding bit sets from MLCS? http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_ogee.html#1741
I have a project that I could use something like these on, plus I think I would use them quite a bit on some upcomming projects. How hard are they to setup?
etc....

Larry

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 3:12 PM
My concern with this type of cutter is that you are nearly always using them in very abrasive materials...the resins in plywood provide for very short life. Therefore, unless you only do some very occational edge banding, you're going to be buying replacement cutters more frequently than you probably want to...an you'll note that they are not inexpensive, even from MCLS. ;) It's also really easy to just glue on plain material using masking tape as a clamp...or even brads to clamp if it's going to be a painted piece. I did this on the weekend with my current project, as a matter of fact.

I think one of the mags looked at these recently, but don't have the resource handy.

Steve Clardy
08-30-2005, 9:01 PM
Their similiar to the Burgess Edge bits. Never got any good reports on the Burgess. Ask Kelly about his.
Don't know about these though.
Steve

PS. Coming to the barbecue Larry?

Hoa Dinh
08-31-2005, 2:44 AM
To me, they seem too much trouble with little benefit. They provide a solution, but I'm not sure what the problem is!

A good question for them is how they handle corners.

Larry Browning
08-31-2005, 6:47 AM
Their similiar to the Burgess Edge bits. Never got any good reports on the Burgess. Ask Kelly about his.
Don't know about these though.
Steve

PS. Coming to the barbecue Larry?

Steve,
Oh, yeah! I'm comming to the BBQ!!! Can't wait!!!!

Larry Browning
08-31-2005, 7:09 AM
To me, they seem too much trouble with little benefit. They provide a solution, but I'm not sure what the problem is!

A good question for them is how they handle corners.

I have been wondering about corners too. I guess you would just cut 45s in the banding.

For my current project I am making a simple storage box out of 3/4 plywood to go under the toy train table I just made for my grandson. I need a good way to cover the edges of the plywood with hardwood and then machine them for the jointery. I am planning on simple 3/4 rabbet on one side of the box. Is there a better SIMPLE joint that will hide the plywood edge better?

Thanks,

Brent Smith
08-31-2005, 8:02 AM
I bought the Burgess set and used it once. The set up time was long and aggrivating. The results were really nice and I'll probably use it again if the project part is going to be prominent. Otherwise I'll go back to my old way of using tongue and groove and then trimming the excess.

Brent