PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Y axis Noise

Jeff Belany
11-07-2015, 5:55 PM
Will contact Epilog on Monday (actually sent this same message them today) about a noise on my Helix 45W. When I move the carriage front to back I get a sharp knock on an even basis, i.e. 7 knocks over the 18" side, back to front or front to back. Just started making the noise int he last couple days. Does not seem to be coming from the motor, seems to be more from the pulley in the back. Does not appear to affect the image at this point but I haven't tried anything that covers the whole table.

I'm attaching a couple very short videos taken with a phone. Thought it might show the problem better than just an explanation. Hope they work, I had to Zip them.

Any assistance/ideas greatly appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bill George
11-07-2015, 6:37 PM
Set screw loose on the motor pulley? Bad belt or something caught in it?
PS Are those all wood lathes or for steel? I would think the Sherline is a steel or metal working lathe?

Jeff Belany
11-07-2015, 7:05 PM
This is on my laser, not the lathe. No loose screws and belt seems OK and clean.

Bill George
11-08-2015, 1:24 PM
Jeff I was just wondering if any of those lathes were for metalworking? I sold my Super 11 Emco and replaced with a Little Machine Shop version of the Sieg 7x14 one.

Jeff Belany
11-08-2015, 1:47 PM
The Sherline is certainly a fine metal lathe but I have mostly used it as a pen lathe. Had 2 at one time.