PDA

View Full Version : The "ER" has put me on the D.L./IR for now..

steven c newman
11-07-2015, 5:34 PM
Lower back had popped a second and a third time.. trip to the ER to get checked out......banned from woodworking for now, not allowed to "push it" with this back..:o

Sooo, I can at least sit at this desk, grab an oil stone, and pull a Maintainence Day on a few tools..
Mainly what was used on a different project, I brought most of the tools home from my Daughter's place, as I have a Loft Bed project going on......now on hold. I even brought back my go-to Dovetail Backsaw..
Seems to be a later model Disston No.4...9ppi rip. block plane is a M-F No.56B low angle. @1220 eggbeater. As for that Project that MIGHT have finished the back?
2 pallets, with 2 2x6 runners lagged to them. Use that as part of a workbench, Lots of "dados" in 4x4s ( for legs). More 2x6s for the ends, 6 yr old GrandBRAT can climb up and hop onto this, when done. Dados?
Well, there are three like this, then rotate the 4x4 and add a fourth. Might be a tight fit, but one end was hammered on, after the second 4x4 was done, Lags to hold the ends.
Screws to attach the end x6s, including one to keep the mattress from sliding out the ends. The 4x4 sitting on top of the frame? That is as far as i got, before the back went out. Made a mess on her garage floor, too..
maybe when the back gets better, I can go back down there, and complete this Loft Bed. Daughter's design, I just build it....:rolleyes: and let her finish it the way she wants it. I did have to sweep up the mess...OW!:eek:

Brian Holcombe
11-07-2015, 5:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your back Steven, feel better.

Mike Cherry
11-07-2015, 8:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your back Steven, feel better.
Agreed, hoping for a speedy recovery for you buddy.

Thomas Schneider
11-07-2015, 8:57 PM
Feel better Steve! I know how you feel, my back has put me out of commission on more then one occasion!

Tom

Jim Koepke
11-07-2015, 9:02 PM
Sorry to hear of your pain.

Get well soon Steve.

jtk

Nick Stokes
11-07-2015, 9:27 PM
That stinks Steven. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Hopefully you get better soon.

steven c newman
11-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks all. Will call the Doc Monday and see what she says about this back. It is in the same place as some Spinal Stenosis Lumbar thingy I have....right leg likes to go numb

Woke this morning, was able to walk around abit, before the back started up. Sitting in this chair, heating pad on the sore spot, and a pillow to support the rest above it, can't lean back.

Will try later to see IF things get a bit better later today. Kind of hard to just sit around all day....

Larry Frank
11-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Take care of your back and find a good doctor. Once we get older, they do not get better very fast or at all.

Good luck with it

Stew Denton
11-08-2015, 2:00 PM
Hi Steven,

Sorry to hear about the back. Hope it is just a very temporary set back. Glad to see that you can do some maintenance on the tools. I will say a prayer for you. Keep us in the loop.

Stew

Robert Engel
11-08-2015, 5:07 PM
Dude you need to start thinking of less strenuous projects.

No hobby is worth it.

You may have a condition that will be with you the rest of your life.

Be careful!

steven c newman
11-08-2015, 5:43 PM
I'll calling Famliy Doctor tomorrow and see what she wants to do. Tried a few things, just to be up and moving a bit. Standing up working with the oil stones on chisels.....I'd lean a bit, and "OW!" gave that up. Baked the back for awhile, added a NORCO5 to make the back "Happy, happy". Figured IF I move around slowly, and don't do any fast, I might be able to do some "light-duty" stuff. At least until the back wakes up, again. Feels like a nail right above the right hip, and goes down that leg. Popped something back there. Heck when one gets old,ain't it?...

steven c newman
11-09-2015, 12:07 PM
called the Doctor's office this morning, they can't get me in today, said to keep taking the ER's pills, check back in about three days....then go to the Urgent Care place....meanwhile, I will just take things as slow as needed.....

Andrew Pitonyak
11-09-2015, 5:08 PM
OK Steve, I am coming over tonight to take all of your tools to remove the temptation to work. I will bring them back in December.

So, what would really happen.

Hey Steve, how do you do this thing that I don't know how to do?

Five hours later we are found sharpening chisels...

Be careful man, the smallest things seems to be able to affect the back.

steven c newman
11-09-2015, 5:36 PM
Seems I learned how to "milk" a project, from an old Carpenter whom worked harder at getting out of work , than getting the work out. For some reason, I just can't sit still...

Figured a way to sharpen the chisels without having to lean over. I raised the area I was using a bit. Set up on the wood tray on the kitchen stove. Oil stones, MkI honing guide, sandpaper, a bit of oil.....and nine chisels and a gouge..
Couple witherbys, a Stanley, couple of Aldis, witherby,Craftsman,Globe, and a Van Camp. The gouge was a Harbor Freight lathe chisel at one time.

Couple of them needed a grinder to refresh a bad edge. Then back to the stones. Paper was up to 2K wet&dry. Most were 25 degrees bevels, one was @ 30 degrees. That LONG one in the middle.

Didn't have to stress the back, just stand there and let the arms do the work. Even took a couple breaks...Mountain Dew was calling my name....

As for the dovetails.....well, the angles are not that bad. Using a standard 1/2" router bit to get the angle of the pins. Set up along a straight line along the mitered end. Spacing was simply by eye, what ever looked good, and avoided knots. Cut the pins first, use them to lay out the tails, leave the pencil lines by cutting on the waste side only. Pare as needed. Will "dress them" up after the glue has cured....at the rate I'm going, maybe Thanksgiving...and plane the rest smooth and square. Might be awhile...

steven c newman
11-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Meds are in use for this old back, was told to give them a few days to work. If not any better, to call them again.

Getting into the van is a real joy to do. Right leg acting up, and that is the one I need to use to get into the driver's seat.

The one I thought was a Witherby, is a Globe. The LONG, skinny one is afirmer style chisel, and the bevel is 30 degrees.

The Craftsman 1/4" bevel edge looks almost new. Have no idea which model the Stanley one is, if there was a number, it is worn off now.

Not sure IF the MkI honing guide will work on mortise chisels. have a couple Butchers to refresh. Is there two bevels on these? Angles?

steven c newman
11-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Meds are working nicely, that and some "PT" to loosen it up a bit. Able to at least move a bit easier walking around. maybe I can get some more chisels done?

Mike Allen1010
11-11-2015, 8:50 PM
Brother Steve, I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). I know firsthand the pain meds can be "magic". However that doesn't mean that ultimately the best and only lasting cure is rest and rehabilitation. Don't push it my friend, the tools will be there when you are back off the DL.

FWIW, my advice: man up, take your medicine and give yourself the time you need to really get better.May be tough to do, but likely in your long-term best interest, which is what we all care about.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Mike

steven c newman
11-12-2015, 12:49 AM
They say take the pills, and doing the stretches.....short of surgery to fuze a few things in place, about all they can do. Have a similar problem in the neck. way too many years of driving forklifts...42 yrs worth, gets a bit hard on one back. and neck.

Mainly to fight be bored, somehow, I just have to kepp moving. Don't like sitting around doing nothing all day.

Back is feeling better as the week goes along. Lots of resting it up, shower has a massager head, and I turn that up on high. never was one sit sit at a desk job, been working since I was 15, and retired when I hit the big 62.