PDA

View Full Version : Making a log bin.

Graham Haydon
11-07-2015, 7:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X9cwRDRto

Had a new stove fitted for the winter and thought a nice item to store firewood would be a fun project. The design is heavily influenced by a Shaker designs I've seen, simply search "shaker firewood box" for ideas. It's Poplar, not something I use often and therefore the green heartwood seems kinda funky and a contrast to most the species I normally use. it remains to be seen if I think that way when it's done. Works well with hand tools which is a bonus.

What I tried here was not using a wagon vice, batten, holdfast etc for the stock prep. Seemed to work ok and seed consistent with

https://dblaney.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/english-joiners.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hill-interior-of-the-carpenters-shop-at-forty-hill-enfield-t03668

and working on a bench with no hold fast holes in the top

http://kleinrestoration.com/images/blog/nicholson01a.jpg

I also worked with the grain during the prep as there were no bad high spots and the wood seemed good "off the saw". I'm thinking that working across the grain or diagonal would normally limited to really poor stock that needs lots of input rather than good stock that needs a quick clean up? That is in contrast to what I've been doing for quite a while. I found I was able to prep boards of 12" just fine. I could of done with the planing stop being further over by and inch but not more.

Finished item should be up in a couple of weeks. Thoughts welcome.

Bill McDermott
11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Fun video. The time-lapse and slow-motion are a hoot.
What is the onomatopoeic word for the super-slowed sound of a sharp plane snick?

David Dalzell
11-09-2015, 2:56 PM
The green color in Poplar will turn brown within a short time.

Warren Mickley
11-09-2015, 3:25 PM
I think the video shows that the bench is a little high for the best mechanics. If you look at the section around 1:34, the shoulders are raised and the elbow is lower than the plane's tote, just to get your hand high enough to plane. Kind of cramped. You are probably pretty used to this configuration, but you might lay down a two inch plank and try working a little higher with respect to the bench top.

The honing technique looks very good, very clean and crisp.

Note this guy in the back planing.

Graham Haydon
11-09-2015, 8:34 PM
Thanks Bill, "fun" is what I'm aiming for. "What is the onomatopoeic word for the super-slowed sound of a sharp plane snick?" #badass :D

Thanks David, that's one of the useful things I've learned so far from you and others.

Warren "The honing technique looks very good, very clean and crisp." that means a great deal and I'm glad you were able to see that within my less than serious video. I'll try a lower height for sure. I have 1 1/2" blocks under the bench legs at the moment. I'll take them out and try it out on the next batch of stock prep. I'm very new to prepping stock by hand so the advice is appreciated.

Graham Haydon
12-06-2015, 6:19 PM

Pleased to get this one done although it had to move out of its home to make way for the tree straight away. It packs a nice amount of fuel in a small foot print. The sawing was fun, the only one that was a "no go" was the D8 rip, even the hacksaw was ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEu4_11eviU

I tried a couple of things in the vid, I can appreciate it may not be liked but feedback is very welcome.

Brian Holcombe
12-06-2015, 6:42 PM
Nice work Graham, I really enjoy these videos!

Reinis Kanders
12-06-2015, 6:59 PM
Video was nice, I got used to the effects towards the end.
Poplar will turn nicely light brown when sitting in the sun. I actually like it after it has browned and it does work well.
I guess one could stick poplar in the tanning bad to accelerate the process.

Nicholas Lawrence
12-06-2015, 7:00 PM
I liked it. Nice simple build, a lot like some of the stuff I do. I couldn't figure out what you would not like about the D-8 for ripping, but then it looked like you were using it for the dovetails? I like mine, but I agree it is too coarse and unwieldy to use for cutting a dovetail. I really enjoyed watching you use the wooden planes. All of mine except a couple of molding planes are metal, but I think the next time I see some wooden ones for cheap I may pick some up to experiment with.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2015, 7:14 PM
Gee, I could never work quite that fast. Excellent cinematography.

jtk

Phil Mueller
12-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks Graham. Even at that pace, I picked up a few tips. Appreciate all the videos you put online.

Kees Heiden
12-07-2015, 2:25 AM
That was fun Graham!

I see your bench misses one implement, the planing hook! That's the spiky thing you hammer into the endgrain of that planestop.

Thomas Schneider
12-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Very enjoyable! Thanks for taking the time to film and post this! How about one last shot of the box being used?

Thanks
Tom.

Joe Beaulieu
12-07-2015, 5:13 PM
Hey Graham,

Great videos. I love the saw choices, or rather the variety of saws used when cutting dovetails. I am about to take delivery of a really nice Bad Axe saw and your video made me laugh at myself there a bit.

I am just getting into this Neanderthal approach, and I doubt I will completely give up my power tools. Like a lot of guys I have quite a bit of osteo arthritis stuff going on and I take whatever pain relief I can get. However, that doesn't mean I don't love hand tools. I am thrilled every time I unwrap a plane or chisel I have purchased on line. My question to you guys is where you are all getting these beautiful wooden planes. Graham - your jointers are beautiful! (And I don't say that to just anyone!) Did you get them ready to go, or did you have to prep them quite a bit to get them to take such gorgeous shavings. And then the molding planes you used for the tongue and groove. I would love to find useable examples of planes like those, but I am new to this and don't have much of a clue where to look. Any nudge in the right direction would be very appreciated. I would love to buy a good wooden jointer and a good wooden smoother, as well as some nice rabbeting and dado or router style wooden planes. Please hook me up guys! :-)

Thanks in advance

Joe

Graham Haydon
12-07-2015, 6:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, pleased there is something you can enjoy!

Just as well Brian, you'll have to put with more of them!

Thanks Reinis, I look forward to seeing the process unfold. It should be exposed to loads of UV light in its position.

Thanks Thomas. I would of provided more shots, however the lighting is dreadful at home right now, long dark nights! I'll update at some point, perhaps when the UV light begins to change the colour of the wood.

Thank you Kees! I did try an improvised version of that. I used nails in the planing stop. I will however give it another shot, was thinking about using some waste saw plate.

Cheers Phil, If you take away anything it's don't do what I do :D

Nicholas, the D8 is a dream! Just not for dovetails, even so they fitted ;). Do give the wooden ones a try and stick with them! They often need TLC and time but they are great if you use hand tools a lot. They are so well suited to the work.

Joe, although I don't show power tools in my videos I do use them. I like to do as much as I can make time for by hand and get faster and better at doing so. On wooden planes there are some good ones to be found. UK e-bay can be fruitful but shipping costly. Honestly with the quality of tool you'll be getting I personally think it would be worth it. If you want a new wooden Try/Joiner plane in the Anglo/US style there is only one option http://www.voigtplanes.com/ as he is the only one to use double irons at this point. As a word of caution I would first advise making stuff and using basic Stanley style planes for a bit. They are initially easier and do a great job of getting the feel of a plane into your hands.
(http://ww.popularwoodworking.com/article/balance)

Joe Beaulieu
12-07-2015, 9:15 PM
Hey Graham,

I very much appreciate the feedback. I do have and love using a fairly substantial plane collection - from many LN and LV bench and block and router style planes, to an entire collection of Bailey and BedRock 3's through 7's. I also really love Japanese planes, and have a smaller but still nice collection of kanna. I get a lot of stress release just sharpening my plane irons and making nice plane tracks. I do use planes to smooth and joint. I just want to find nice versions of the jointers you have there and also the molding planes. There are lots of them available - just check EBay, but you never know what is a safe buy on Ebay.

Thanks for the feedback Graham! I will check out UK Ebay - that sounds very interesting.

JB

Graham Haydon
12-08-2015, 4:27 PM
Excellent Joe

Sounds like you are in a prime situation to start enjoying some of the benefits of wooden planes! David Weaver has lot's of good stuff on wooden planes here https://www.youtube.com/user/daw162 Have fun :)

David Eisenhauer
12-08-2015, 5:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, very instructional. I had a couple of "why did he do it that way?", or "I never thought of doing it that way" moments and that is good for me. Again, thanks. BTW, I recommend the somewhat darker Batman to fit the winter mood. IMO, Spiderman is more of a summertime guy. Just my opinion, though.

Graham Haydon
12-08-2015, 7:19 PM
Cool David, glad it got you noticing a few things. Good plan on the shirt :D