PDA

View Full Version : Resident LABRADOR RETRIEVER EXPERTS: TAKE A LOOK!!!

Clarence Martin
11-06-2015, 6:37 PM
Well, I might be getting a new Dog tomorrow. Dog Trainer has a Pure Bred Black Lab that they need to find a home for. Owner of the Dog is very sick, and can't take care of him anymore. I think the Owner has Cancer. So, here is a Pic of the Dog. Trainer is bringing him over tomorrow for me to check out.

What do you think from just the pictures?

He is 6 years old and fully trained.

Larry Frank
11-06-2015, 7:05 PM
Nice looking dog.....looks sad. It may take some TLC as he will miss his previous owner. He needs a good home.

When I have been sick, my dog has been a great comfort.

John A langley
11-06-2015, 7:54 PM
Hey looks like a really good one ,at six there may be a little trouble with translation The worst thing that you can do to him is leave him alone spend as much time as you can with him.labs are great dogs and they're good with children

Dok Yager
11-06-2015, 8:11 PM
Nice looking Lab. They are such Great dogs! He will need LOTS of attention and love, getting over his old master won`t be easy for him. Walk him every day and give him lots of love and play and he will come around.

Kent Adams
11-06-2015, 8:39 PM
Honestly, he looks a bit scared to me. I owned a black lab once. Very loving dog to its owner, but hated other dogs and was protective. Both good things in my needs for a dog. This dog needs some love.

I now own a Great Dane and I used to think labradors were big and strong. However, my 11 month, still growing Great Dane, towers over every dog I see and is a giant walking muscle. While playing with him, he's ripped my arm out of its socket and has torn a door clean off its hinges. He was attacked by a pit bull at the local dog park and tore the pit bull up, ripping him like he was a rag doll. He literally eats cow femur bones in a weekend and is so territorial, I have to keep him crated if anyone comes to the house. On his hind legs, he's taller than me and I'm 6'1". Supposedly, he'll continue to grow until 18 months and grow to be more than 200 lbs per the vet. Great Danes are called gentle giants, but if provoked and attacked, they are as ferocious as they come and the size, intelligence and strength makes for a formidable animal.

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2015, 8:59 PM
If at all possible, take him to visit his current owner. His face looks like he needs to stay in touch with them, and I'd bet my paycheck, the owner needs to see the dog just as much, if not more. Can you imagine having to give your best fried away forever, when you are sick?

Do them both a favor and keep them in touch with each other as long as possible.

Just my two cents.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2015, 9:19 PM
Well said ,Scott. The man is too sick to take care of the dog, but of course misses and needs the companionship.

Bruce Volden
11-06-2015, 9:48 PM
He's a fine dog. I don't know your experience with dogs but this breed is a working class. You will have to keep him "busy" on a set schedule, what Dok said is spot on.

Bruce

Bruce Page
11-06-2015, 11:28 PM
I've had 4 Labs over the years. In my mind they are the best breed of all.
Give him love and he will give back 10 times the love.

Justin Ludwig
11-07-2015, 7:01 AM
We have Shebe, a half black lab/spaniel. Extremely well mannered and loving. She lets our 11 month old daughter play all over her. We adore her.

Glenn Clabo
11-07-2015, 7:50 AM
You are getting the best dog at the best time. There is a reason that they are most popular breed for many years running. We are on our 3rd and our recent puppy is a handful. But we know what we can look forward to. You're a good man for taken him in. He'll give you more love than you can handle. Also...he looks a little overweight...probably too much love by food...and lack of exercise because of his owners sickness. They really need diet control...they will eat until they bust. Looking from behind they should have a distinct waste. If he's a true English lab...he may be ok...but he'll live a longer/better life if his weight is controlled.
Enjoy...they really are the best.

Paul McGaha
11-07-2015, 8:18 AM
We're on our 3rd Lab. Bill (12 years), Mandy (13 years), and now Cooper, he's just 4 months old. Wonderful family dogs.

I highly recommend a lab for a family dog and if I were in your position I'd jump at the chance to take him on.

PHM

Robert Engel
11-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Labs make great pets. I have had several.
Assuming he doesn't have any bad habits (they love to dig holes) you should do fine.
My advice is first get him checked by a vet.
They are very loyal dogs so he may pine for his previous owner after you get him home.

Clarence Martin
11-07-2015, 1:52 PM
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/canvasback1887/DSCN1699_zpsdpirqyuj.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/canvasback1887/media/DSCN1699_zpsdpirqyuj.jpg.html)

Trainer gave me a few days to see if we get along. So far, so good!!

Clarence Martin
11-07-2015, 1:53 PM
The water in the bucket is not YELLOW, It's a reflection from the kitchen lights!

Paul McGaha
11-07-2015, 2:03 PM
He's a good looking dog, Clarence. What's his name? He looks like he's been eating good.

PHM

Clarence Martin
11-07-2015, 2:40 PM
Now , as for the name, I don't know WHY they picked it, but his name is ........ Brooke!!!

Paul McGaha
11-07-2015, 2:59 PM
Hahahahahah.

PHM

Don Morris
11-07-2015, 8:00 PM
Paul,

If you don't take the poor guys dog, what a shame. If you do, he will know that he goes to a loving and caring home that has cared for a similar dog before. The guy across the street has a chocolate lab that is being put down on Monday. He probably should have gone this Friday, but Joe just couldn't bring himself to take him. One more weekend then he'll do it. "Mack" has been a wonderful outgoing, fun and loving lab for many a year. Joe used to say "He loved you before he met you". We can remember him bounding out of Joe's home and across the street to get a "pet" then back to Joe. After we put down our Siberian Huskie while on duty in Italy, just before coming home for the last tour, we said "Never again do we want to go through the trauma of that process again." So, we got a cat and it was just the same. "Sara" was my birthday present and when we had to put her down we cried for weeks, and said "Never again do we want to go through the trauma of that process again." Well, the cat we have now adopted us. As you remember, he didn't like the new dog the neighbors got so he adopted us. And my daughter in law is living with us and her Labradoodle (3/4 full size poodle and 1/4 lab). So off I go with the "doodles on parade". Snickerdoodle the cat and Cinnamon the Labradoodle. Cat refuses to be left behind on a walk. It's a HOOT. Neighbors get the biggest kick out of seeing a cat and dog walking together. Cat doesn't need a leash. Only time the cat doesn't come with is if he's sound asleep, I won't wake him, or if for some reason, it's his feeding time and I need to walk the dog. Eating food is higher priority to the cat than waliking. But those are seldom.

We're having a cul-du-sac party tomorrow after the Redskins game and Joe is coming over. I don't even want to talk about putting Mack down. I'll start crying. I love Mack. He's been a friend for years. They're like one of the family to those of us who own pets and care for them. The party is to figure out what tree to replace the tree that died in the cul-du-sac circle. We had a weeping cherry. The city arborist said he'd put whatever we want because we maintain the circle so they aren't bothered. I just finished making one drawer for the cabinet I will be making 7 more drawers to show the guys one of the things I've been up to. Yardwork has been the other in order to get ready for the knee replacement on the 19th. If you looked at the yard right now, you wouldn't think anybody did anything. Covered with leaves. I've got one more big rake job, then we'll hire some cheap labor because the city comes one week AFTER I have my knee done. I'm not going to try to rake leaves after one week. I got a couple $1.00 Baldacci novels from the Friends of the Library and another good author to read. We have things pretty well set up we think. Talked to several people who've been through it recently. Even one who was done by one of the two docs in the group I go to who do knees. So I know what to expect and what he went through. I've had two rotator cuff repairs, can't be too much worse, or even may be better. For the rotator cuff surgeries, I had to sleep sitting up for weeks. And the PT for that was not fun.

The lab looks like he needs a buddy. A buddy named Paul. Let us know if that's the lab you got.

Don M

Kent Adams
11-07-2015, 8:10 PM
Is that an e-collar on him?

Clarence Martin
11-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Is that an e-collar on him?

Yes. Got it from the trainer for a few days. not sure how the thing is supposed to work

Mike Cutler
11-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, I might be getting a new Dog tomorrow. Dog Trainer has a Pure Bred Black Lab that they need to find a home for. Owner of the Dog is very sick, and can't take care of him anymore. I think the Owner has Cancer. So, here is a Pic of the Dog. Trainer is bringing him over tomorrow for me to check out.

What do you think from just the pictures?

He is 6 years old and fully trained.

Good looking dog. Little bit heavy, but still has a nice glossy coat and there's muscle under there.
Fully trained can mean a lot of things to people. From being house trained, to being ready to compete in field trials. If at all possible, talk to his current owner and find out how and what he is trained for. If you can re-establish his training program, it will restore some amount of regularity to his life. Dogs thrive on attention and regularity. He has a lot of changes to deal with, putting things back in to his life that he understands will help him transition. If he comes from hunting stock, and has been trained, he'll bounce back quicker once he has his job back.
Expect some behavioral issues. His world is being turned upside down and he'll need time to adjust. It may take a few months.
Labs are special. I have Vizlsa's now, but we had labs as a kid. Great dogs!!
Good for you to considering taking him in to your life.

Mike Cutler
11-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes. Got it from the trainer for a few days. not sure how the thing is supposed to work

Clarence
If you don't know how it works, or how it is used, take it off. Put a nice, quality 1", "D" ring, safety collar on him, and a 9' lead.
e-Collars are tremendous training aids, but you need to understand a lot about conventional training methods to apply them correctly.
They "extend the leash". They're never used for punishment, or behavioral issues. They are only used to enforce, or re-enforce, a command that you are absolutely certain the dog understands, at a distance.
I've been training bird dogs most of my adult life. Everything you would expect a "normal" dog to do on a leash, that guy is capable of doing 80 yards away, out of sight, in the water or afield, and more.

Clarence Martin
11-08-2015, 7:10 AM
Good looking dog. Little bit heavy, but still has a nice glossy coat and there's muscle under there.
Fully trained can mean a lot of things to people. From being house trained, to being ready to compete in field trials. If at all possible, talk to his current owner and find out how and what he is trained for. If you can re-establish his training program, it will restore some amount of regularity to his life. Dogs thrive on attention and regularity. He has a lot of changes to deal with, putting things back in to his life that he understands will help him transition. If he comes from hunting stock, and has been trained, he'll bounce back quicker once he has his job back.
Expect some behavioral issues. His world is being turned upside down and he'll need time to adjust. It may take a few months.
Labs are special. I have Vizlsa's now, but we had labs as a kid. Great dogs!!
Good for you to considering taking him in to your life.

Took it off before I went to sleep last night. I guess I am old fashioned. We never used them before.

bill kaminski
11-11-2015, 7:49 PM
He will return your love, many times over. I hunted most of my life w/a Lab, wonderful companions.

Kent Adams
11-12-2015, 8:15 AM

That's what I thought. Did he have that collar on while you were at the trainers?

Paul McGaha
11-12-2015, 8:29 AM
How's it going Clarence? You like hanging around with that big rascal?

PHM

Matt Marsh
11-16-2015, 2:51 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Itasca_mn/media/26D858CA-949D-4C1F-97D5-C52002712ED7_zpswpnhm88q.mp4.html

Hope all is going well with your new buddy. This is Wilson. He is 6 years old, and is a lanky 92lbs. He is my third Lab. I don't know what I would have done without Wilson these past 2-1/2 years since my wife of 35 years passed away. He has been through thick and thin with me, and is helping me through the hardest and darkest part of my life. I love him. Check out the link above to see his slo mo video.

Bruce Page
11-16-2015, 3:23 PM
I love that video Matt! Wilson looks a lot like my 7 year old Ella, also about 90 lbs. My other lab, Kodi is in my avatar.

Matt Marsh
11-17-2015, 9:57 AM
Thanks Bruce! Yeah, they're all play.

Advice to any potential new dog owners:

Buy the best quality food that you can afford. Even the best dog food costs less than feeding a human.
Keep up the regular vet checkups.
Use Lymes and heartworm preventatives.
Lots of exercise and playtime every day!! Tennis balls and a retrieving dummy. A tired Lab is a happy Lab!
Give them lots of love and attention. They will always give you more in return. You are their whole world.

These are awesome!

ron david
11-18-2015, 12:51 AM
he will adjust to you quite nicely as long as you treat him well. have never had a lab but have had chessies for the last 40 years
here is the young one who is going on 2
http://imageshack.com/a/img904/600/TONVmx.jpg
and the older guy who is 9
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac281/padresag/mogen/DSC_0407_zps72cd2052.jpg
ron