PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Question

Scott Welty
11-06-2015, 3:43 PM
I'm building some cabinets and drawers for under some basement stairs. My overall plan is to build the cases as usual and then install bringing the front edge of the case flush with the existing walls/runner around the area. My doors and drawers would then be 3/4 inch in front of the existing and I planned to trim around with maybe 1x2 or 1x3 so my doors and drawers would be flush with that trim. Within the area I'll use frame-less cabinet hinges with half overlay. My problem is what to to with that cabinet on the left end. With the trim board there how do I hinge it? Is there a concealed hinge that basically allows the door to act like an inset door on a frame cabinet?

I've probably confused everyone. Jump in and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks as usual,

Scott

Joe O'Connor
11-06-2015, 4:06 PM
Just use a zero mounting plate and a 5/8 overlay hinge.

Tom Ewell
11-06-2015, 4:31 PM
Additionally

Blum has a couple of inset hinge configs
The face frame version supposedly uses a special jig (expensive) to mount the face frame plate, you might have to slide your left 'stile' trim piece over enough to accommodate.
Can use the panel version if you flush up your left trim piece to the inside face of your case.

Jerry Miner
11-07-2015, 3:01 AM
Yes, you can install an inset hinge with the trim piece flush to the inside face of the cabinet box.

Or, you can use a 1/4" overlay and hold the trim piece back 3/8" or so.

Or 3/8 overlay, with 1/2" trim reveal

Or 1/2 overlay, .....

Walter Plummer
11-07-2015, 7:26 AM
From your drawing it is a full overlay hinge. The trim is the same as another door on the next cabinet if it was a run of frame-less cabinets.

Scott Welty
11-07-2015, 8:05 AM
Walter - Good point! Thanks.
Scott

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-07-2015, 8:06 AM
From your drawing it is a full overlay hinge......

+1
This is a standard full overlay hinge, not an inset.

Jerry Miner
11-07-2015, 1:14 PM
From your drawing it is a full overlay hinge. The trim is the same as another door on the next cabinet if it was a run of frame-less cabinets.

The drawing does show a full overlay, but if you want to lap the trim onto the cabinet---as you would when adding trim to, say, a door or window, ---then you would want less overlay.

Tom Ewell
11-07-2015, 1:26 PM
Good stuff, this cat is pretty much skinned, pick your hardware and design the cabinet to work with it.