PDA

View Full Version : Tool tote: some progress?

steven c newman
11-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Lower back is still giving me "issues" . Went down the stairs to the Dungeon Shop yesterday, and managed somehow to get an hour's worth of sawdust making in...then the back tightened up...:(

Anyway, laid out a second set of dovetails. There is a large knot on this end. I adjust the spacing, so that no pins would get involved. Due to comments about my ...dovetail saw...I tried out the Disston backsaw for a couple cuts.
Even with the wax on the plate, it started binding in the cuts. Switched back to the Atkins made saw I used earlier, no more troubles. Started to chop out the waste, and that knot tried to cause problems..
Popped right out! Flipped the board over, and finished things up. Used this pin board to lay out the tails, checking several times to make sure that THIS is the way the boards will go together. Sawed and chopped the waste out. Couple pins needed pared a bit to fit..thanks to the Disston saw leaving a wavy cut. Mallet to test fit this corner together..
Looks a bit better the the first corner? Grabbed the Oak plank I'll use for the bottom. It will need the sides beveled to fit to the bottom, right now it is a way to square the case up..
That large, all the way through, knot hole? might leave it alone, I can then just sweep all the dirt , and shaving out through it. Saves dumping things out. Still have two more corners to chop on..
And will need a supply of wedges for the glue-ups to come.
I got this far, and then the back started in, again. :mad: Need to see about that, sometime.....maybe a "Better living through Improved Chemistry" thing?:eek:

Will post more as I go from here. Plenty of time, no real rush when one is retired, right? :D

Pat Barry
11-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Nice work steven. My mind is boggled just thinking about this little project. Are you cutting the pins / tails extra long and then trimming them back flush? or, are you approaching this just like another dovetail and fitting them to finished dimension? I would leave them long and try to sneak up on the complex geometry myself but i don't have as much experience with dovetailing as you do

Terry Beadle
11-06-2015, 11:03 AM
That Disston may need a little more set. Have you mesured the set with a micrometer?
It's easy to set the set using a soft wood anvil board and a nail set.

Just a suggestion.

steven c newman
11-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I will probably use a few planes to smooth things out. Might try a roundover on the corners. I just cut and fit....seems that IF I remember to go with the straight line on the ends, and not worry about bevels, things go together a little easier. Each set seems to get easier, and better. might be the practicing??

steven c newman
11-06-2015, 11:10 AM
I actually have two of these saws.....the one filed Rip is at another job site right now. The one I tried last night was a crosscut, fine teeth sort of thingy. 15ppi just won't do for a rip in pine. The other one is 9ppi and filed and set for this sort of thing.

I'll keep the fine toothed one to miter cut trim.....there is very little set to it.