PDA

View Full Version : WoodTek Midi Lathe - Anyone use/have one?

Ken Frohnert
11-06-2015, 7:06 AM
I was looking on the WS website at chucks and noted that they sell a small yellow/green Midi Lathe for $299. It is well over 80lbs. Most of the other small lathes look like they come from the same factory but the shape of the headstock and the way you access the belts is different. It has a slower slow speed than many small lathes as well. I was thinking of getting a small lathe for in the basement for winter when my outside workshop/shed is cold for me to use my bigger old lathe. i could turn pens, ornaments, and other small stuff.
It is $299 plus shipping. Generally, i my limited experiance WS has good service and are reliable - I believe there large #1 athe gets some good feedback.

I was thinking with the holidays coming (esp. black Friday) someone might be running a super great promo on a mini/midi lathe.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Woodtek Midi?

Brian Brown
11-06-2015, 8:48 AM
No experience with the Woodtek, but it appears to come from the same factory as the Rikon Lathes. The price I saw on the Woodtek is $389.00 at WS. Woodcraft has the Rikon for $299.99 (Rikon 10" x 16" Pen Lathe 70-105 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/863667/rikon-10-x-16-pen-lathe-70105.aspx) #863667). The specs are nearly identical. Most midis have 500rpm as the slowest speed. Nothing against the Woodtek, but for $90.00.....

Justin Stephen
11-06-2015, 9:11 AM
While $299 is cheaper than the comparable Jet and Grizzly, I think I would opt for spending my $299 on the Rikon. 500 rpm slowest speed is really pretty common for 10" non-VS lathes.

As an aside, I realize that this term is probably not firmly defined, but a 10" lathe is not a midi lathe, its a mini lathe.6 Rikon calls their comparable 10" lathe a "pen lathe". I think 12" should be the minimum before the term "midi" can be thrown about.

Ken Frohnert
11-06-2015, 1:29 PM
I kind of agree it is not a true Midi - since I have a bigger older lathe 10"s is okay for my basement lathe since if I need bigger I can hit the shop.