PDA

View Full Version : Cored-Lidded Bowls

Ralph Lindberg
11-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Last summer I was at the Utah symposium (Super Weds) where Mark Baker was coring a bowl and then using the core as a lid.
Well, I finally got around to playing with the concept.
Spalted Maple Bowl#1. Showing the bowl with the lid on.

Spalted Maple Bowl #1. Showing the the lid off, in this case the lid is designed to function as a 2nd bowl.

Maple Bowl #2. In this example the lid is designed to be "just" a lid, so it has a Rosewood knob

Maple Bowl #2, the lid also as a Rosewood button on the inside.

This was a great first and second bowl, I plan to continue to produce additional examples

Pat Scott
11-06-2015, 8:05 AM
I must have missed that demo! That's a neat idea to use the core as the lid. I like bowl #2 the best.

So how does the process work though? When you core the middle the middle fits inside the bigger bowl. How do you cut the middle so it's big enough to be used as a lid that fits on top?

Jim Colombo
11-06-2015, 9:40 AM
How DO you make the top (lid) fit after coring??

Ralph Lindberg
11-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Pat, he did the coring and then went on to show how to use the Modern Masters Metal Effects Reactive paints (that simulate oxidized metal)

Mark was coring from the "top" of the bowl (like normal), only then the lid insets well inside the bowl, I didn't want to do that

Instead I either "cored" from the "side" of the bowl (near the top) or created a flat "spot" on the rim, that is at 45 degrees to the "top" and cored from there