PDA

View Full Version : Table saw extension table rebuild. I'm looking for some guidance.

Justin Pfenning
11-05-2015, 9:38 PM
I have a 70's green Powermatic PM66 with a Biesemeyer fence. The right side extension table is in rough shape. I'm planning to rebuild it, and add an out feed extension table of some sort. My main question is on the color of formica I should use. Most of the older green PM66 saws I see have an off white formica for the extension table. The new gold saws use a black formica. Which is better? I can see where the black would excel in contrast to most woods, but it would seem the lighter color would brighten up the work area. I plan to install a router lift in this new extension table, so I will be routing on this new surface.

I plan to use MDF for the extension tables, covered in formica. I'm thinking the extension table will be 3/4" thick, and then I'll cut strips to glue and screw around the edges to thicken it up where the fence mounts (2.25" thick at the edges). Will one layer of MDF be strong enough? It's supported by the fence angle iron on both the front and back. I will be adding a leg to the floor on that end to help support it too. Currently there is no support leg.

Is my plan solid?

Justin

Don Jarvie
11-05-2015, 10:13 PM
I mad mine black because I liked the look. I used 1 piece of MDF and 1 piece of 3/4 ply and wrapped the sides with MDF then covered it with fomica. I have 45 inches to the right to rip.

I also put my router lift at the end on the right. I can use the TS fence to attach the router fence to it.

Matt Day
11-05-2015, 10:38 PM
One layer of unsupported mdf will not do. The stuff will sag in no time. I'd put cross braces at least every foot or so, and double up the mdf to two sheets.

There are some good ideas on the web for extension wing plans. Do some google image searching and see what you can find.

Doug Garson
11-05-2015, 11:28 PM
One advantage of the white is you can more easily write on it with a pencil.

Justin Pfenning
11-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the off white formica (so I can see pencil marks), and I'll beef the extension table up by going to 1.5" thick and adding some frame support under it. Thanks for all the ideas and input.

Justin