PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Permanent archive of Woodworking resources in various locations

Roger Feeley
11-05-2015, 8:30 PM
I live in Kansas City and am about to move to northern VA (DC suburb). Having lived here, I had a pretty good idea of where to get stuff and it's a fairly long list. My list would include WW resources like the KC WW Guild, various stores that supply tools and wood, some area resources that most wouldn't know about. Then, assuming that woodworkers are also handy, I could tic off supply houses for plumbing and electrical and other house type things.

I could put out the call to the Creek for such things where I am going but it occurs to me that maybe a permanent archive of resources would be a handy thing.

Is there a way within these forums to create shared documents?
Local Resources - <state> - <city>

Then I could create the list for the KC area and others could add and subtract.

Case in point, here in the KC area, there is a great wood resource but it's about 60 miles away in this tiny rural town. My point being that someone moving here might not ever know about Friedan Lumber unless they stumbled upon it like I did 10 years ago.

I would be more than willing to do a writeup for the KC area.

Bert Kemp
11-05-2015, 9:23 PM
Great Idea Rodger, It would be great to know where things are locally. I live near Phoenix and I know theres tons of places here but were are they, were do I find a place that makes counter tops that might have cutoff scraps of corian, or a place to find acrylic scraps. things like that for an engraver.

Kent Adams
11-06-2015, 8:06 AM
Good idea Rodger. Also, I envy you for moving to No. Virginia. Best place I ever lived, as long as you are INSIDE the belt line (if you live outside the belt line, life gets difficult because of the traffic). Your resources there will be far greater than in Overland Park or KC. I'm familiar with OP because my uncle lived there and I use to visit him all the time.

Yonak Hawkins
11-06-2015, 9:46 AM
It sounds to me like you're hedging your bets, Roger, moving from KC to the DC area. You can still root for your legacy team, the World Champions, and be where the next champions could be.

Roger Feeley
11-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Really? Better in DC? That's encouraging. So far, all I know is there is a Woodcraft in Springfield.
I'm not sure where the beltway is. I will be about 6 blocks from the East Falls Church Metro stop.

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2015, 5:51 AM
Good idea!
Good luck on your move! DC's a big change from Overland Park.
Fred

Keith Outten
11-07-2015, 7:04 AM
I live in Kansas City and am about to move to northern VA (DC suburb). Having lived here, I had a pretty good idea of where to get stuff and it's a fairly long list. My list would include WW resources like the KC WW Guild, various stores that supply tools and wood, some area resources that most wouldn't know about. Then, assuming that woodworkers are also handy, I could tic off supply houses for plumbing and electrical and other house type things.

I could put out the call to the Creek for such things where I am going but it occurs to me that maybe a permanent archive of resources would be a handy thing.

Is there a way within these forums to create shared documents?
Local Resources - <state> - <city>

Roger,

We tried to do what you are suggesting in the Laser Engravers Forum several years ago and the list ended up being nothing more than advertising. Vendors employees registered as Members here just so they could get their company on the list which got way out of hand. Last but not least we could not attract any advertisers from the laser industry.

We created the Friends of The Creek Directory so there would be a place where companies could list their services and made it searchable by keyword, location and made it available for a very small annual fee.

Roger Feeley
11-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I guess I'm too naive. My thought was an archive of resources compiled by customers, not vendors. But I see what might happen.
I guess I will just stand by until someone is moving to KC and asks. I can be of some help. When the time comes to move, I will put out the call for resources in the DC area.

Keith Outten
11-08-2015, 8:52 AM
Roger,

Its often difficult to tell who is a customer and who is a vendor around here. Half the battle our Staff has to wage every day is keeping The Creek free from those whose interest is pushing their products and services here for free. I delete about 30% of new registrations every day because they are spammers or those I can tell represent a commercial interest. Even so they get though so our Moderators have to catch them in the act and remove their threads then notify me so I can delete their account. On a daily basis our Members report spammers as well, its and uphill never ending task.

I wish we had a means to publish lists like you have suggested because I know that they would be valuable to everyone here.

Kent Adams
11-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Really? Better in DC? That's encouraging. So far, all I know is there is a Woodcraft in Springfield.
I'm not sure where the beltway is. I will be about 6 blocks from the East Falls Church Metro stop.

Then you're inside the beltway. I lived in Falls Church.

Yes, it will be better than KC. DC/Baltimore is probably about 10 times the size of KC and there are lumber yards/sawmills everywhere in VA.

There are 3 Woodcrafts in Metro-DC (Springfield, Rockville and Leesburg). There is also a Rockler about 50 miles west in Winchester. Going West on Hwy 7 you'll hit one Woodcraft and then Rockler. Traffic going West is not bad. Take 66 to Dulles and then pick up 7.

Woodworkers club is also great.
http://woodworkersclub.com/

Too many places to mention.