PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Summit Board Needed

Fred Fiorito
08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
I have been trying to find a new 5.1 rolling buffer for a 25 watt Epilog Summit machine. Does anyone know where I might get one? Epilog says they do not have a source.

Thanks

Roy Brewer
08-31-2005, 12:32 PM
I have been trying to find a new 5.1 rolling buffer for a 25 watt Epilog Summit machine.

Fred,

Epilog purchased what they thought would be a lifetime supply of these before 32bit windows came out; it didn't turn out that way, however. They are simply not available anywhere and the Summits are so darn reliable that I doubt if there will be any available from "salvage" for several years.

On the other hand, I assume you are wanting the rolling buffer not for the rolling buffer but because it is required to run your first generation Summit from 32bit software (like 2nd generation Summits).

Several have opted for MS Virtual PC to run win98 inside winXP. For our purposes here, we'd use Virtual PC to load win98 into a running XP/2K system and then be able to use the 16bit driver you are currently using.

Much less expensive than the controller card and really pretty slick. This is a software utility used mainly by programers to test software on different OSs and actually allows different OSs to be running in memory and interacting with other OSs as if each were a different "box." I still have several programs for which I have an occasional use that have not, and will not be upgraded to 32bit [DesignMan, CASMate...] so I find this utility a steal. [Doesn't require a geek, but is certainly not for the computer illiterate; not supported by *anyone* other than MS and they laugh at our simple use of their sophisticated program!]

Fred Fiorito
09-06-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks for your help Roy. I was researching purchasing this and saw a review that this will not operate on XP Home edition, just XP Pro. Is that what you found, or do you know if it will rum with XP home.

Fred

Roy Brewer
09-07-2005, 9:34 PM
My appologies. I don't run anything but xpPro. While I didn't try it, the docs make it clear that it requires xpPro so I'm sure it will not run on xpHome.

Donato Marcantonio
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Hello, I am about to purchase a Epilog Summit for 4K. is it a good price for it?
Unfortunately it has 3.0 firmware, can this be upgraded at least to 3.3? I know it can't be upgraded to 5.x. What inconvenient does this have besides the fact that you have to use win98? What advantages are there if you run win98 within winxp using virtualPC as opposed to using a dedicated win98 box and sharing the "printer" for other network users to use?

the laser was manufactured in '94 and it was used heavily in a production environment for years, it probably has between 7 and 10k hours on the tube.

What kind of maintenance would I probably have to do to it? would the mechanical part get sloppy in the long run?

Fred Fiorito
09-15-2005, 3:58 PM
I can't help with the value of the machine, but Roy Brewer would be an expert on this and the upgrade question. Epilog has also always been very helpful to me. You need XP Pro to use the Virtual PC utility. I ended up having my computer reformatted and installing both XP Home and Win 98 in a 4 gig partition. When the computer starts up, it prompts me to pick the operating system. It has worked very well for me and allows me to swap files between XP and 98. They are set up as c drive nad d drive.

Donato Marcantonio
09-16-2005, 4:17 AM
I can't help with the value of the machine, but Roy Brewer would be an expert on this and the upgrade question. Epilog has also always been very helpful to me. You need XP Pro to use the Virtual PC utility. I ended up having my computer reformatted and installing both XP Home and Win 98 in a 4 gig partition. When the computer starts up, it prompts me to pick the operating system. It has worked very well for me and allows me to swap files between XP and 98. They are set up as c drive nad d drive.

Thanks Fred. I will keep getting every info I can .