PDA

View Full Version : New purchase, looking for recommendations

daniel coyle
11-05-2015, 1:47 PM
Looking to purchase another Chinese machine. Last one I bought was in 2012. I have noticed some change in what people say now about brands and products and have looked through posts to find some answers AND to figure out what the questions are. Probably another 1290 bed, probably not smaller, maybe a 1610. So, any thoughts on this and the below bulletpoints would be great. Mostly will be depended on for cutting 6 mm cork and engraving will be a close second. Currently I am getting quotes from JCut, Gweike and SinJoe. Jcut is most expensive by far and the other two are closer with Sinjoe being a little more affodable.

What companies currently are well regarded with respect to service, quality, warranty etc.? Feedback on the ones I am already working with?
I have learned there are two types of RECI tube, apparently of different quality, and EFR tubes which are apparently of higher quality that either RECI? True?
Planning on getting the most powerful tube that makes sense, probably a 130/150 but would consider trying to go higher if it made sense. Have been using a 100 to do the cutting work I have and it is acceptable but not awesome.
Currently using Lasercut 5.3. Any recommendations for something better that is commonly available? I wish I could stop a job in the middle and save my spot, which is not possible right now. Also interested in something that gives more engraving flexibilty.
Several companies offer servo motors as upgrades. What is the argument for spending the money for these?

Thanks so much.

Keith Winter
11-05-2015, 10:45 PM
I have a thunder laser with a 130w efr tube and servo motors. I like it for cutting, for engraving I think 130w is too much on a Chinese laser.

daniel coyle
11-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Thanks Keith. Why did you upgrade to servos? Have you had problems with the steppers in the past? And, what kind of cutting software do you have? Are you able to stop jobs and restart them? I guess I don't quite understand why having more Wattage makes for poor engraving.

Keith Winter
11-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Hi Daniel. Thunder lasers are all servo based instead of stepper. It has rdworks 8 which I think is also called laser works? Stop and restart? I'm not sure what you mean. I can stop a job and then restart it. I can also pause and then continue on.

Too much power on Chinese and you end up blowing away the object you are engraving since Chinese laser tubes can only go so low before they won't fire. I think Dave said 80w is optimal for engraving in most situations. If you really want good engraving go with a USA machine, they blow away the engraving quality of the Chinese IMHO. Check out my Chinese laser engraving thread from a few weeks ago if you want to see what I'm talking about blowing away the substrate due to too much power and a comparison of Chinese engraving with servos vs a us machine.

daniel coyle
11-06-2015, 2:16 PM
Thanks Keith. Makes better sense to me now. i will ask thunderlaser for a quote and see what happens. Sinjoe has been pretty good and I know that Dave likes his machine but they haven't given me any other references to contact about their stuff.

Keith Winter
11-06-2015, 2:19 PM
Thanks Keith. Makes better sense to me now. i will ask thunderlaser for a quote and see what happens. Sinjoe has been pretty good and I know that Dave likes his machine but they haven't given me any other references to contact about their stuff.

BTW Dave is the undisputed expert on those lasers. If he told you Sinjoe is good, I'd take his word to the bank, he is an expert in Chinese lasers.